Add a handmade touch to your Christmas tree this year with pretty handmade Christmas ornaments. These felt star ornaments are framed beautifully with a grapevine wreath to add a chic, rustic touch. Adorned with a special recipient’s monogram, these would make terrific holiday gifts, too!
For this project, you will need…
- Wool Felt (2 Colors)
- Embroidery Floss and Needle
- Letter Stencils
- Washable Ink Marker
- 6″ Grapevine Wreath
- Greenery Sprig
- Create a 5 1/2-inch star template, either by hand or using a computer and printer. Use the template to cut 2 star pieces for each ornament from wool felt, along with a 2-inch circle of wool felt in a contrasting color.
- Using an embroidery needle and floss, stitch the circle to the center of the front star piece.
- Use a stencil and a washable ink marker to trace the desired letter onto each circle, and then embroider the outline and center of the letter shape.
- Place the star front and back pieces together, wrong sides facing, and stitch together with a blanket stitch, leaving a small opening for filling. Fill with fiberfill, and stitch closed.
- Nestle the star at the center of the grapevine wreath, and accent with a small sprig of greenery, if desired.
These ornaments made an appearance in my Rustic Holiday Mantel. I created three ornaments to spell out a word truly befitting of the season: Joy!
These ornaments coordinate beautifully with my twig and pine cone wreath, which can be made in minutes!
On the lookout for even more Christmas ornament inspiration? Check out these projects from the PS archives: