Add a handmade touch to your Christmas tree this year with pretty handmade Christmas ornaments. These felt star ornaments are framed beautifully with a grapevine wreath to add a chic, rustic touch. Adorned with a special recipient’s monogram, these would make terrific holiday gifts, too!
For this project, you will need…
- Wool Felt (2 Colors)
- Embroidery Floss and Needle
- Letter Stencils
- Washable Ink Marker
- 6″ Grapevine Wreath
- Greenery Sprig
- Create a 5 1/2-inch star template, either by hand or using a computer and printer. Use the template to cut 2 star pieces for each ornament from wool felt, along with a 2-inch circle of wool felt in a contrasting color.
- Using an embroidery needle and floss, stitch the circle to the center of the front star piece.
- Use a stencil and a washable ink marker to trace the desired letter onto each circle, and then embroider the outline and center of the letter shape.
- Place the star front and back pieces together, wrong sides facing, and stitch together with a blanket stitch, leaving a small opening for filling. Fill with fiberfill, and stitch closed.
- Nestle the star at the center of the grapevine wreath, and accent with a small sprig of greenery, if desired.
These ornaments made an appearance in my Rustic Holiday Mantel. I created three ornaments to spell out a word truly befitting of the season: Joy!
These ornaments coordinate beautifully with my twig and pine cone wreath, which can be made in minutes!
On the lookout for even more Christmas ornament inspiration? Check out these projects from the PS archives:
Photo Christmas Ornaments
Rolled Paper Ornaments
Book Page Medallion Ornaments
Personalized Pine Cone Ornaments
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.
I like the twig and pine cone wreath though it looks not so easy to make as you say :))
Amy @ Positively Splendid says
It truly is easy! I promise. 🙂