Add some stealthy nutrition to your day with super food-packed, delicious doughnuts. With an abundance of good-for-you ingredients (some that you’d never expect!), these ultra-healthy doughnuts are a terrific on-the-go breakfast recipe for busy weekdays. And they are easy to make, too!
Super Food Doughnuts
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 3.5- oz. jars baby food carrot puree
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup dried goji berries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Heat oven to 350˚. Spray the wells of 2 (6-welled) doughnut baking tins with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, applesauce, oil, pureed carrots and yogurt in a separate bowl. Stir in rolled oats, and allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Create a well at the center of the dry ingredients; gently stir the liquid ingredients into the dry. Stir in the grated carrots, goji berries and chopped apple.
- Divide the batter evenly among the doughnut tins, filling each well almost full. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in doughnuts comes out clean. Remove from pan immediately to cool on a wire rack. If desired, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
This batter can also be used to make 1 dozen muffins. If doing so, increase baking time to 20 minutes.
This recipe features a somewhat exotic ingredient: dried goji berries. This berry, which is native to China, is packed with antioxidants and can be found in the health food section of many stores. If you can’t find them anywhere near you, don’t worry! You can use an equal amount of any dried berry you wish, although cranberries would probably be the closest well-known substitute.
Looking for more delicious, nutritious recipes to try out in the new year? Check out these from the PS archives!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.