April 5, 2010

A treat for your honey-bunnies

I posted yesterday here about some of the veggie purees I have been making and freezing to feed Tink as she begins to explore the world of solids. Today I thought I’d share with y’all a recipe my older kiddos love that incorporates the same carrot puree I feed their little sis. I will be honest: I am usually not a fan of “sneaking” veggies into foods for my kiddos, but this is one recipe I make an exception for. It is so easy to put a batch of these together during naptime to enjoy for breakfast or snacks throughout the week, and the fact that each muffin is such a fiber and nutrient powerhouse is an added bonus! It might seem odd at first to put baby food in something that isn’t for babies, but I assure you the result really does taste very good. :)

When I made my latest batch of these muffins last week, I thought it would be cute to use an idea for using circus peanut candies as carrots that I originally saw in Parents magazine last year to make them look especially festive. The kiddos loved it! I know Easter has come and gone, but why not make it a point to prolong your spring celebrations by decorating a batch of these for your little bunnies to enjoy this week?

Bunny Food Muffins (Carrot-Yogurt Muffins)
(Adapted from a recipe I originally found in Parenting magazine just after Jack was born)

For a downloadable PDF of this recipe, click here.

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
2 3.5-oz. jars baby food carrots (or, alternatively, 7 cubes frozen carrot puree as prepared according to yesterday’s post, thawed)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup grated carrots

Heat oven to 350˚. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with non-stick spray.

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, oil, baby-food carrots and yogurt in a separate bowl. Gently stir the liquid ingredients into the dry. Stir in the grated carrots.

Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.

*******************
These muffins are terrific plain and unfrosted (I actually prefer them that way, with just a smidgen of butter melted on top), but if you choose to decorate as I did above, here’s how you do it:
Frost cupcake with purchased or homemade cream cheese frosting (recipe follows). Cover with green sprinkles, if desired. Place one circus peanut candy at the center of the cupcake. Using kitchen shears, cut a 2-inch section from one green Twizzler and cut “tassels” at one end as shown in the photo below. Place onto cupcake just above your circus peanut to form the carrot top.
Cream Cheese Frosting
(Adapted from Southern Living)

For a downloadable pdf of this recipe, click here.

1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Combine powdered sugar and salt; gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating until blended.
Enjoy!

I’ll be linking to all of my favorite parties!

16 Responses to A treat for your honey-bunnies

1. Nicole April 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

These look yummy and healthy too! I’ll have to try them. HOpe you had a great Easter. What adorable kids you have!

2. MrsJenB April 6, 2010 at 1:05 am #

Looks delicious! I need to sneak veggies into food for grown-ups…sad but true! haha

And that icing…mmmmmm…I love cream cheese icing! Especially with carrot cake.

Thanks for sharing @ MYM!

3. cheri April 6, 2010 at 5:32 am #

oh my, can you save me some, please? :) i love carrot cake and to top it with cream cheese? WOW.

shuttling in from SITS :)

4. Holly April 6, 2010 at 6:33 am #

These sound delicious…I just downloaded the pdf…your pdf look beautiful…I need to make mine prettier!

I throw pureed veggies in everything!

5. Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity April 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

Those look yummy!

Just came across your blog & am loving it. I have a MckLinky party called Tot Tuesdays. I’d love it if you’d stop by & share some of your great ideas for tots:

Cheers,
    Jenn

6. Angie April 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

These look like so much fun!

7. Stef April 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

Oh! These are so fun and look so yummy! Your blog is just darling! I do the pureed baby food, too. It’s such a money-saver and it makes me feel good about myself. heehee. And my older girls love a good muffin – I’m excited to try your recipe – thanks!

8. Katie's Nesting Spot April 7, 2010 at 4:13 am #

These are too cute!

9. jo_annie April 7, 2010 at 6:25 am #

Cuuute! Thanks for visiting my blog!

10. Jennifer @ The Toy Box Years April 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Oh are those adorable! I didn’t think they make those peanut candies any more!! LOL!

Visiting you from the Friday Follow! Hope you’ll come visit me too!

11. Brianna! April 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

These are a MUST MUST MUUUUSSSTTT try!
    Grabbing my recipe book RIGHT NOW.
    LOVE THE BLOG!
    xoxo

B’s

12. Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity April 12, 2010 at 2:21 am #

Thanks so much for linking up on Tot Tuesdays last week. I will be featuring you tomorrow! :)

13. HoosierHomemade April 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

How fun! Those look like they would be super moist too!
    Again, love your pictures!Very cool!
    Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Cupcake Tuesday! I hope you get a chance to join us next wk too!
    ~Liz

14. Pam Ponder April 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

wow i love them cute and healthy too….

1. Baked Banana-Carrot Doughnuts | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 22, 2013

[...] recipe is an adaptation of my Carrot-Yogurt Muffins. Head over to that recipe for another great breakfast [...]

2. 15 Healthy Easter Ideas - Five in Ohio - March 18, 2013