April 3, 2010

A special Easter recipe – He is risen indeed!

In honor of Easter, I thought I would share a little recipe for a special Easter Morning treat my mom always made for us when I was small. These sweet rolls are such a fun way to convey the joyous message of Easter to little ones: peek inside to find an empty center to symbolize the empty tomb and Christ’s resurrection!

Resurrection Buns

15 individually frozen rolls, thawed (I use Rhodes brand)
15 large marshmallows
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Flatten each roll into a circle and place one marshmallow in the center of the circle. Wrap dough around marshmallow and pinch to seal. Make doubly sure that the dough is sealed tightly around the marshmallow to ensure when the marshmallow melts during baking, the sugar does not leak out.

In a shallow dish, combine cinnamon and sugar. Dip each marshmallow-filled ball into melted butter. Dredge in cinnamon/sugar mixture, coating evenly on all sides. Place in greased 9×13 baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining rolls. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to rise overnight.

On Easter morning, heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove rolls from refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap from pan and bake rolls for about 30 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm and enjoy this little reminder that Christ is risen indeed!

Happy Easter to family and to friends, old and new!

6 Responses to A special Easter recipe – He is risen indeed!

1. Brooke April 4, 2010 at 12:11 am #

This is a wonderful idea! It is a great way to explain the message of Easter to young ones. I will have to remember this for next year. This idea is going in my notebook!

2. Jenn April 4, 2010 at 3:56 am #

I made resurrection cookies with my girls this year, but I have never seen this one before! It looks delicious! We will definitely be making these next year!! Thanks for posting!

3. purseblogger April 4, 2010 at 6:26 am #

Oh my goodness, those look amazing! I will try them soon. I wish it wasn’t too late for Easter. Love your blog, so fun!

4. Misty April 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

I just love this! Have a great day!!! You have a beautiful family!

5. Alison April 10, 2010 at 2:25 am #

Hi Amy!!!

What a fabulous blog you have here. I am reveling in all of your fun ideas, adorable family, and man I wish I had known how to make baby food the right way when my son was tiny. I have heard about resurrection rolls and wanted to include them as part of my Easter FHE, so THANK YOU for this recipe and visuals. I look forward to following your blog and fun ideas!!!

Alison (oopsey daisy)

6. Shirley July 14, 2012 at 6:37 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.