May 5, 2010

Framed silhouette vignette

I am so proud of myself: for once I am not going to be running with my hair on fire to the nearest post office to have Mothers’ Day packages mailed at the eleventh hour. I wrapped up the gifts for each of our moms yesterday and got them mailed today. Go me!

Ladies and gentlemen, if you are looking for a meaningful project that is sure to impress, but you find yourself short on time or funds (or both), this project is perfect for you. Once again, I found myself coming up with a new use for the silhouettes I created of each of my kiddos using my handy-dandy Photoshop silhouette technique. I am like a moth to a flame. I just can’t stop coming up with new projects to showcase these little jewels!

If you don’t have Photoshop, the very talented Traci at Beneath My Heart posted a terrific tutorial here for how to create silhouettes in a more traditional way. You could easily make your silhouettes as she describes and cut them out and adhere to a 5″ x 7″ white piece of card stock to use in place of the printed silhouette grouping I mention in the supply list below.

Supplies:

8″ x 10″ tabletop frame
Spray paint (optional)
Paper trimmer
1 piece of patterned paper for background, trimmed to 8″ x 10″
1 piece of coordinating card stock, trimmed to 5-3/8″ x 7-3/8″
One silhouette grouping (or a single silhouette, if you prefer), printed onto high quality photo paper, trimmed down to 5″ x 7″
Acid-free adhesive roller
Foam adhesive dots
Dimensional letter stickers (I highly recommend Thickers made by American Crafts – a truly fantastic line of products!)
To begin, spray paint your frame in your chosen color if you so desire so that it can be drying while you work on the rest of the project. You’ll be multi-tasking without even realizing it! :) Remember to wash your hands VERY well before handling the photo paper if you get any paint on your fingers, because you will otherwise wind up with a smudged mess! After that…

Once you’ve completed the steps above, insert your finished vignette into your open frame. (Meaning: leave the glass out!) Part of the charm of this project is the dimension of the various layers, and you don’t want to obscure that with a boring ol’ piece of glass.

And that’s a wrap!

I know I am obviously partial, but aren’t these three absolutely darling little creatures?

Some helpful tips:
  • If you are doing a grouping of silhouettes as I have done here, I recommend creating and saving each individual silhouette as a jpeg, then copying each of those images into a new blank document to create your grouping to print out. That way, if you want to go back later down the road and work with each silhouette individually, you’ll be able to do so without any hassle.
  • It is my own personal preference to add extra dimension by stacking the foam dots in two’s, but you can most certainly use just one dot in each space if you would like.
  • To add stability to your finished project, I recommend adhering your finished vignette to the frame’s glass before framing. If you want to use the frame for another purpose later down the road, you won’t kick yourself for having thrown it out. ;)
Enjoy this day!

By the way, the pics in the tutorial differ from the final project photos I’ve shared because, like a ninny, I neglected to photograph the other before I shipped it. Duh! Good thing I decided to make one for myself for Mothers’ Day. :)

I’ll be sharing this at these marvelous parties!

Visit thecsiproject.com

32 Responses to Framed silhouette vignette

1. Maureen May 5, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

WOW that is really really beautiful! Will try to play with photoshop for sure. Thank you for sharing this.

Stopping by from SITS & following you now ;)

2. The Pratts May 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Thank you for the wonderful idea! Sadly, I am the one who will be running with my hair on fire to the the nearest post office this year! But now at least I have an idea!

3. Liz May 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I am visiting via TTA and am now a follwer! Have a great aternoon!

4. a little lovely May 5, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

stopping by from blue cricket design! love this idea! and i love the colors too! i’ll def be doing a silhouette project soon :) thanks for sharing

5. Stef May 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm #

What a thoughtful gift! I have been thinking about your silhouette tutorial and am trying to decide which wall to redecorate. Thanks for another idea!!

6. malia May 5, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

Um– love love love this! I am a silhouette junkie. Thanks for the tutorial

7. Happy Gramma May 5, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

I love these silhouettes! I can’t wait to try these with my grandchildren!
    Thanks for following me.
    If you like to blog hop come to my blog and grab a button for Welcome Wednesday. It is a great way to get your name out!

8. Amy May 6, 2010 at 1:14 am #

I LOVE this, now I have a new project! I wonder if I can add a silhouette of my dog!
    Can I ask how you got the fonts for your titles on your blog also?

9. Flory May 6, 2010 at 2:23 am #

so artistic… really nice!
    thanks for sharing!
    Flory

10. Julie May 6, 2010 at 2:36 am #

This is adorable. I want to try it!

11. Beckie May 6, 2010 at 4:01 am #

Ahhhh….your blog is fabulous! Newest follower here! Can’t wait to see more from you :)

12. meredith* May 6, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

stopping by from somewhat wimple’s linky. i love silhouettes!! these are perfection!

13. Vicky@sleeping in an unmade bed May 6, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

Love it! That is a neat trick about the dots to give it dimension. I would have never thought of that. That is why I love the Blog Community!!

Take care!

14. Holly May 6, 2010 at 11:15 pm #

LOVE this so much I can barely stand it! The colors are great and I have a big soft spot for silhouettes! Gorgoues!

15. Mariska May 7, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

OK, I am blaming you that I didn’t get my housework done today ;)
    Found your Photoshop tutorial for creating silhouettes a couple days ago and today I just HAD to try it. This is SO much fun. Thank you for putting this together!!

16. Mariska May 8, 2010 at 12:11 am #

I am back: I just had to share your great idea on my blog, so I put a link to your blog on mine. Didn’t know if you would mind if I used a picture from your blog (if I gave you credit for it), so just to be safe I didn’t do it…

17. Fawnda May 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

Love this! It turned out beautiful! :)

18. The Pratts May 8, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

I’m back. I made my own version of these (not as cute as yours, but I tried!) and posted them on my blog with a link back to you. Thanks again for the great idea!

19. Mike and Jenny May 11, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

So cute…can’t wait to do this myself!

20. Tara C. Wheeler June 17, 2010 at 6:24 pm #

Hi Amy…may sound like a silly question but how did you get the detail such as highlashes and hair sticking out, etc.? I’ve already made some and was trying to get those details since my kiddos have extremely long lashes. Thanks for the tutorial and the info. I love it!

21. Bree Johnson June 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

super cute I love it- now following your from csi
    -Bree Modsblog.com

22. Julia June 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

Great way to display silhouettes! love the idea!

23. asnipofgoodness June 23, 2010 at 2:16 am #

Great project, beautiful outcome, love it!

24. Jane June 23, 2010 at 2:37 am #

I love everything about this project. Must. Learn. Photoshop.

25. Julie @ Joy's Hope June 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

I love it. Every single thing about it. Adore. If only Photoshop didn’t hate my guts! Some days we will become friends. Someday.

26. Mayje June 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Hi! Your project is so great! I have been thinking of putting up a frame above our bed but I don’t want to have a glass on it. Your project gave me an idea! Thanks for sharing!

27. Amy {The Red Chair Blog} July 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

This is darling! I had to stop over when I saw your photo featured on Infarrantly Creative because you and I have the same name! I’m also Amy Bell :) Happy 4th!

28. Creative Rasins April 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I love this, I am definitly going to give it a try. Thanks For sharing

29. MSBABY May 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Oh Gee…have I become so jaded that the “hair on fire” statement made me laugh so hard I sprayed my morning coffee across the table?

This is such an amazing project! Thanks for the excellent tutorial!

Jan

1. A perfect weekend recipe for your monkeys | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 10, 2012

[...] Still needing a quick, meaningful gift for a special mother in your life? Take a look at my framed silhouette vignettes.  Kick off your shoes and stay a while! And if you could, would you please let me know you’ve [...]

2. 80 Mother's Day Crafts to Make - April 26, 2013

[...]  Framed Silhouette Vignette {homemade mothers day} ~ If you are looking for a meaningful project that is sure to impress, but you find yourself [...]

3. Positively Splendid Handmade Gift Round-Up | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - December 8, 2013

[…] Framed Silhouette Vignette     For Friends   Flip Menu Planner     Dry-Erase Menu and […]