October 12, 2010

Candy Corn Cutie

Every little girl needs a kicky Halloween outfit! I try each year to come up with something cute, and I have to say that I am truly tickled with this year’s finished result. From head to foot, Miss Priss is too sweet for words!

My idea for this ensemble came when I was looking through my pattern collection and came across my pattern by Whistlepig Creek Productions for their Flirty Skirty. I just adore this pattern! It is such a spunky little number, and when I was considering the three layers, it dawned on me how cute it would be to use it as a take on candy corn. In constructing the skirt, I used my cheater’s rolled hem method, and the rest was simply following the pattern instructions to the letter. This pattern is terrific for beginners and experienced sewers alike!

For the Ruffled Candy Corn Tee, I used the following:

White, orange and yellow scraps of fabric (leftover from making the skirt)
Medium-weight fusible interfacing
Thread
Fabric marker
Black t-shirt
Basic sewing supplies: shears, machine, etc.
My short-cut ruffling tutorial here

I completed the ensemble with a matching hair bow. The boots were her selection. :)

For a printer-friendly version of this project tutorial, click here.

Thanks so much for stopping in, my friends!

Linking to…

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap    up           party!

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Positively Splendid
to receive updates, and join us on Facebook and Twitter!

Subscribe in a Reader Receive Email Updates Follow on TwitterJoin us on Facebook

, , , ,

46 Responses to Candy Corn Cutie

1. The Cottage Mama October 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Oh Amy I LOVE this! You know I’m a sucker for girly things, but this is darling – awesome job :-)

Hope all is well!
    Lindsay

2. Kati October 12, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

What a cute little outfit. I love the candy corn.

3. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} October 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Just adorable! And your little one looks like she adores wearing it. Fabulous outfit!

4. Kelli @ RTSM October 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Very cute! I made a similar shirt for my boys…minus the ruffles:)

5. Alison October 12, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

WOW, what an adorable outfit!! Makes me wish I had a girl!!

6. Dawn October 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

So cute! Love the ruffle idea for the candy corn-time to go looking through my fabric for the right colors! Thanks for the idea and tutorial!

7. Nancy's Couture October 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

So Cute! I love the matching ruffle skirt too!

8. Leslie October 12, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

That is the cutest candy corn outfit! I love it!

9. LollyChops October 12, 2010 at 7:18 pm #

This is sewper cute!!!!!!

10. ellie g October 12, 2010 at 7:32 pm #

Amy, Amy, Amy. I want to dislike you SOOOO badly! Not in a bad way. Don’t panic. In a way like, “why is EVERYTHING she makes SO AMAZING?” This is DARLING! Awesome! And I’m already thinking that since I doubt I’ll get it made for Halloween….what about a really awesome Christmas ornament? I’ll be sure to mention how I totally ripped the idea off from my buddy who is Practically Perfect in every way. Can I just call you Mary Poppins from now on?

{LOVE}

11. stephaniegiese October 13, 2010 at 1:51 am #

Adorable! I love the ruffles!

12. Dusty October 13, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Too stinkin’ cute!

13. Beth @ Sand To Pearl October 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

The ruffles are adorable.

14. casserole October 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

What a fabulous Halloween outfit!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

15. Terrell October 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Oh this is darling!!! I love candy corn anything…but this is way precious!!! I’m so excited to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! Be sure to link up your fun finds every Friday at my Fabulous Finds Party! Hope to see you there!!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

16. Lizzy October 13, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

This is SO cute! Thanks for posting this–gonna try to make one!

17. Eva Marie Harp October 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

I love this!!!!! I mean love it. Thank you for sharing. You make my to-do list for this sat.

18. FrouFrouBritches October 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

That is sooo precious! What a cutie pie you have modeling too!

19. The Landfair Family October 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Very cute shirt…you’re amazingly creative! I must say, though, that the model is even cuter. I have the most adorable nieces and handsomest (is that a word??)nephew in the world!

20. Laura Bray October 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

It looks good enough to eat! Great idea & tutorial!

21. PeaceLoveApplesauce October 13, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

Way, way, way cute!!

22. The Autocrat: Haley October 14, 2010 at 1:14 am #

Aww that outfit is too cute! Of course, she makes it look fabulous with her pink boots! I have pink boots too!! :)

23. Chic Cookies October 14, 2010 at 1:49 am #

cute cute cute! I love it. And great tutorial. I think maybe even I could sew this they way you explain it, and needles don’t like me.

24. Holly October 14, 2010 at 2:01 am #

Thank you for the great tutorial, I just made one for my friend’s 3-year-old. Her birthday is tomorrow. Wish I had time to make the cute skirt, too!

25. Infarrantly Creative October 14, 2010 at 2:25 am #

Oh my I love that Amy. So easy and so fun. Ruffles make anything look good don’t they? Your girls looks sweet enough to take a bite out of!!!

26. April October 14, 2010 at 2:47 am #

Love it! I am a sucker for candy corn and ruffles…put them together and there aren’t even words! Too stinkin adorable! I would love for you to link up to my DIY Halloween Party & Tutu Giveaway.

27. Ashley October 14, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

Oh My Goodness, I love love love this!!! So creative!

28. Val October 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

Very precious!

29. Kimberly October 15, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

I adore this! My mom is a kindergarten teacher, and I have been looking for something kindergarten-teacher-esque/kindergarten kid-friendly for her. :) I’ll be making something like this this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

30. Kari @ Ucreate October 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

I can’t get over how adorable this is! LOVE IT!

31. Sweet Little Smoothie October 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm #

So adorable!! LOVE the ruffles!!

32. Lizzy October 18, 2010 at 3:15 am #

Yea–I got one made in like an hour! Your tutorial is AWESOME! I posted a pic on my blog, please take a peek if you get a chance http://roadtheory.blogspot.com/2010/10/candy-corn-shirt-from-positively.html
    Thanks again for posting this!

33. Stacey October 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm #

Oh my goodness, this is just too adorable. You crafty mom’s of girls just throw me for a loop each week. I’d just love to have a little, sweet, darling girl to make one for.

34. Niki October 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

Adorable! I’m thinking this technique would be cute for a V-tine’s Day heart tee, Christmas tree tee, or St. Patty’s Day tee! SO CUTE! Precious little model, and I LOVE the skirt too!

35. Allie October 21, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Aww! Adorable! I am loving seeing everybody elses Candy Corn dress! This is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!! Love it!
    I am so glad I found your blog! I will be your newest follower!
    I hope you will come link this and any other of your awesome projects to my Make It With Allie party, every Thursday through Sunday.
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

36. brandy-son Zen master flash October 23, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

Can I wear that even though I’m 32? I think I could get away with it. Ha! Totally adorable!

37. brandy-son Zen master flash October 23, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

I forgot to mention I found you via Be Diff Act Normal!

38. Nicole@Whimsy-Lane October 25, 2010 at 1:50 am #

Thank you so much for the tutorial. It was the perfect finishing touch for the Candy Corn skirt I had alreadycreated!

39. Katie @ Cheep Ideas October 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

I LOVE this with the little skirt! I’ve added this to my roundup today, thanks so much for sharing!!

40. Heather - Dollar Store Crafts October 31, 2010 at 5:33 am #

This is so adorable. :) I made a candy corn costume and I linked to yours too: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/?p=7908

41. Jennifer February 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

This is so cute! I have been saving it to make for this year, since I ran out of time last year. So, in the mean time, I followed your tutorial and made a ruffled heart onesie for Valentine’s Day! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the inspiration!

Jennifer

42. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants September 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

I love this! The pattern for the skirt isn’t available any longer, would you be willing to share it?

43. Heather September 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I love it. Do you have directions for making the bow and skirt? I’d love to make the whole outfit for my daughter. Please share as I couldn’t find the skirt pattern. I think it is no longer available.

44. Heather September 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

1. 31 Candy Corn Cupcakes, Treats and Crafts - October 26, 2012

[...] Ruffled Candy Corn Shirt from Positively Splendid [...]

2. The Ultimate Candy Corn Collection: Cupcakes, Recipes and Crafts - October 27, 2013

[…] Ruffled Candy Corn Shirt from Positively Splendid […]