March 15, 2011
Boy/Girl Pillow Shams – Custom Bedding, Part 2
step 2 / Outfit your machine with your leather needle and your heavy duty thread. Place a piece of tissue paper on top of your applique, and carefully stitch all the way around each piece to secure it to your sham. (The tissue is used to keep your foot from sticking to the vinyl as you sew. Smart!) When you are done stitching, tear the tissue away. Use tweezers to remove any tiny remnants of tissue than remain.
step 3 / Replace your leather needle with a standard sewing needle and your heavy duty thread with your standard thread. Pin your two front panel pieces together, right sides facing, making sure all of the edges are precisely aligned. Stitch them together using a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a 3-inch opening for turning. Clip your corners and turn your piece right side out, using a corner-turning tool to push the corners and seams out completely. Press. Edgestitch all the way around your piece, closing the opening you used for turning as you go. Repeat the above steps with your two 24 x 24″ back panels and your two 10 x 24″ back panels.
With wrong sides facing, pin your smaller back panel on the right-hand side of your finished front panel, with the long sides and corners of each piece precisely aligned. Now, pin your larger back panel piece on the opposite side, precisely aligning the corners and edges, so that the center edges of your back panel pieces overlap by 2″.
step 4 / On the right side of your front panel, make a mark with a washable ink marker 2 inches from each of the outer edges at each corner, as shown. You will use these marks as guides to show you where to pivot when you stitch your front and back panels together. Now, stitch your panels together using a 2-inch seam, pivoting at each of the corner marks you just made. (It might be helpful to place a Post-It note on your machine 2 inches away from where your needle falls to use as a guide to keep your line of stitching precise.)
Now, slip a pillow inside your sham and admire your work!
Click here for a FREE printable and tutorials for how I created the wall hangings and lamp shade to coordinate with the room decor!
Love this post? Let's keep in touch!
- HP Pavilion x360 and HP ENVY 5530 Giveaway!! #HPFamilyTime June 23, 2014
- How to Take Great Portraits of Your Kids + $50 Cut It Out Frames Giveaway! July 2, 2014
- DIY Fabric Phone Charging Station June 4, 2014
- 20 Fun, Free Road Trip Printables #HPFamilyTime June 7, 2014
- Glow-in-the-Dark Patriotic Star Necklaces #TheBigBling June 30, 2014
- How to Make Barefoot Sandals (Kids’ Craft Idea) July 21, 2014
- DIY Ladder Photo Display #3MDIY July 17, 2014
- Burlap and Cork Monogram Craft #MichaelsMakers July 15, 2014
- An Invitation to Sew with Me + 5 Quick & Easy Skirt Tutorials #SkirtingtheIssue July 10, 2014
- Decoden Sea Shell Ornaments July 9, 2014
- Michelle: I am so sorry I missed this...will you all be doin...
- Crystal: What a great idea!! I love how easy it is to chang...
- Crystal: I wish I knew how to sew because I would come up t...
- Natasha J: my husband just said today he wanted to disply fam...
- Heather Haugen: I always have a ton of pictures of my kids I want ...