July 27, 2011

Kindergarten

He came into our lives in the wee hours of a snowy December morning.

At precisely 2:31 a.m., I became the mother of a bouncing baby boy.

At precisely 7:15 a.m. this coming Monday, that same boy will embark on his first step of many in spreading his wings to ultimately leave our little nest:

He’s starting kindergarten.

Where has the time gone?

It’s been devoted to the bleary-eyed days I thought would never end just after we brought him home, rocking and nursing and watching around the clock.

It’s been given to the days of coaxing and encouraging him through those early milestones – rolling, crawling, walking – and meticulously documenting every single one.

To the days we never got out of our pajamas, building blanket forts in the living room and reading his same favorite books over and over and over again.

To the days when his accomplishments made me immensely proud – amazed, even – and to the ones when his antics made me want to abandon ship the moment Daddy got home from work.

To the days, even just yesterday, when he asked to stay with me during naptime, and he reached out his hand to hold while we both drifted off to sleep.

I never used to understand the mothers who went into mourning over seemingly small events like a first day of kindergarten. I am not an overly sentimental person. Truly. But motherhood – oh how it changes things.

For five sweet years, he has been all mine.

And now slowly, surely – in incremental steps that would be imperceptible to all but a mother’s heart – I’ll begin the bittersweet process of letting him test the foundation I’ve been diligently laying for him since that early December morning when he was first placed in my arms.

1 month

10 months

20 months

3.5 years

5 years

11 Responses to Kindergarten

1. Full Plate Designer July 27, 2011 at 11:39 am #

What a way to start off the day…tears! Thanks for the heart-touching post. Well said and exactly what is in my heart even though I have a few years to go until I experience the same thing. Even though my little boy is only 2.5, Kindergarten will be here before I know it!

2. Randi~Dukes and Duchesses July 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

Awww. My twins are starting kinder in a few weeks and I feel the same way. I’m not the emotional type but I cried when my older two went as well. I even cried when my oldest one started middle school … my kids think I’m an embarrassment. :)

3. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} July 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Oh what a bittersweet moment Monday will be! Goog luck to J *and* you!

4. Amy at Ameroonie Designs July 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Amy- you are absolutely darling! It is a tough moment for sure! Hang in there. :)
    xoxo,
    Amy

5. Tania July 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Amy- I know what you are feeling. I’ve been there and in a few weeks I will be seeing my son start his first day of High School. I tear up just thinking about it. Not sure how I will do when the actual day gets here. I will probably be a blubbering mess.

6. Jeni July 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

Oh, man – this is beautiful but not helping me as I get ready for C’s first day of kindergarten!! :)

7. Vivienne @ the V Spot July 27, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Aw! What a handsome little guy! The time definitely flies! My oldest just graduated from High School. Those milestones are bittersweet moments each time…

8. Grammy Goodwill July 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

So sweet. My little man turned 33 last week. Time flies.

9. Lisa July 28, 2011 at 12:55 am #

Aww…I’m feeling the same way. My little man will be starting Kindergarten next month also! Time goes by way too fast!~
    Lisa

10. Patty Ann July 28, 2011 at 3:43 am #

They grow way too fast!!

11. Doreen July 28, 2011 at 4:49 am #

Awww, such a sweet post, Amy! Your son is so adorable, and looks like he is ready for his next adventure (even if you’re not). My younger daughter is ready for her next chapter — college — even though I’m not so sure I am….enjoy baking the cupcakes, watching the Halloween Parade, and seeing him make his new best friends.