November 12, 2011

Photo Christmas List Ornament Tutorial

I am so thrilled today to be the final project shared in this month’s Creative Carousel lineup!
One thing I always love looking back on are the lists my children come up with for Santa each year. It still brings a smile to my face to remember my older son’s 3-year-old list, which included a monster, a car and a bug. :) By creating these Christmas List Photo Ornaments, you can create a memento to recall sweet memories like these each and every time your trim your Christmas tree!

For this project, you will need:
Unfinished 4″ wooden plaques
Acrylic paint
Cardstock
Patterned paper
Paper trimmer
Mod Podge
Foam brushes
Coke cans & manual die cutting machine (optional)
Metal stamps* (optional)
Paint pen (optional)
Hot glue
Eye screws
Ribbon
Small baubles: bells, ornaments, etc.

*I purchased my metal stamps from Harbor Freight

step 1 / Paint your plaque in your desired color with acrylic paint and allow to dry completely. While your plaques dry, print a photo of your subject in black and white onto your cardstock. Using your paper trimmer, trim your photo down to 3×3″. Trim a piece of coordinating patterned paper to 3.5×3.5. When your paint is dry, affix your photo to the front of your plaque and your patterned paper piece to the back using 2-3 even layers of Mod Podge. Allow everything to dry completely. Note: Because your photo is printed onto cardstock, the ink will run just a bit when your Mod Podge it, creating an antiqued look. If you prefer a crisper, cleaner look, have your photos professional printed.
step 2 / Using the technique for how to create metal tags from empty Coke cans, create a large tag to go on the back of your ornament and a small tag for the date. I used my Lifestyle Crafts Nesting Frame dies. Use your metal stamps and paint pen to embellish your large tag with your child’s list as is detailed in the post linked above. Do the same for the date tag. Hot glue your finished list tag to the back of your ornament. Note: If you don’t want to make metal tags, no big deal! You can print your list onto cardstock and then Mod Podge it to the back of your ornament.
step 3 / Affix an eye screw to the top of your ornament to serve as the hanger. Thread a piece of decorative ribbon through the screw and tie it in a festive bow. If desired, embellish your bow with the date tag you created in step 2 and small baubles like bells or miniature ornaments.

You are finished!

I love that these ornaments not only document the kids’ wish lists for Santa, but they also include a photo and the year so I can always remember exactly what they were like at the point in time the lists were written!

In case you’ve missed any of the terrific Christmas Decor projects shared over the course of this week’s Creative Carousel lineup, I hope you’ll check out each and every one!
Joy letters from Alison at Oopsey Daisy
Twine Ornaments from Kelli and Kristi at Lolly Jane
Pottery Barn Knock Off Pillow at Creations by Kara
Cabinet Door Tree Decoration by Kristyn at Lil’ Luna
And don’t forget to head over to get yourself entered to win one of the terrific prize packages up for grabs thanks to our generous sponsors!

craftvinylRDS-Button_125-V3button125blinkie_adornitbirdthe pleated poppy blogali-sponsortshipapp copyimage003blue moon studiosfaith_3Giveaway ButtonBlog Banner 250x125LCBLCBButton2ellibutton

***
Some of my regular readers might be wondering where the Saturday Seven is this week. Well, I have an exciting announcement:
Tonight at precisely 7 p.m. (Central) the first-ever Saturday Seven link party will kick off!
I will still be listing my seven personal favorites as I always have, but I am now going to open things up so you can share your projects, too! I hope you’ll plan to be here, and that you’ll spread the word for others to stop by as well!

Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z
Tip Junkie
Today’s Creative Blog

, , , ,

20 Responses to Photo Christmas List Ornament Tutorial

1. Liz November 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

That’s pretty cool! Thanks for the tute!

2. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy November 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

This is darling Amy! I love the idea of including the Christmas list!

3. Kara November 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

These are so adorable Amy! Such a fun way to remember how each child changes over the years. Love them!

4. Lil' Luna November 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

SOOOOO cute! I LOVE this idea!!!!

5. Michelle November 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

What a cute idea! So fun to look back in future years too.

6. Stef November 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

Oh, Amy,

This is just the most darling idea. I have GOT to do this, I love the idea of documenting their wish lists in a place that I might actually see them again! I’ll have to check out that Coke can tutorial – will Cricut do the trick?

7. Tam @ Sew Dang Cute November 13, 2011 at 3:34 am #

Amy I LOVE this!!! This will be perfect for my kids’ ornaments this year. What a fabulous idea!!! Thank you!!!

8. Heidi November 15, 2011 at 4:45 am #

This is probably the best ornament I have seen so far! AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Heidi@HomemadeBeautiesByHeidi

9. Sara November 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

SO darling!! Would LOVE it if you would link these up at my turquoise lovin’ party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-13.html

10. Amanda Joy November 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

I think these are darling and turned out great. Awesome color combo.

Hopping over from Tip Junkie
    Amanda Joy

11. Karen November 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

Love it! What a fabulous idea. My kids would love it!!

12. Stacey November 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Wow, I can’t believe that’s just stamped into a coke can. Every time I turn around there is a new crafty thing I need. Good thing Christmas is around the corner.

13. Jess from Coxs Corner August 9, 2012 at 2:32 am #

What an awesome idea! I’m so pinning this for later!

14. Beja {Howdy-Honey} November 21, 2012 at 11:16 am #

This is THE most genius & cute ornament idea ever. SO special! Would love for you to share it with my readers at the Wanderlust Wednesday party. http://www.howdy-honey.com/2012/11/wanderlust-wednesday-2-features-joy-to.html

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 22, 2012 at 7:36 am #

Thanks so much!

1. Inspiration Wednesday: DIY Ornament Ideas « perpetuallydaydreaming - November 21, 2012

[…] Marbelized ornaments -these are so pretty and look easy to make. Source […]

2. Lil' Sprout Greetings Blog | Holiday Decor “Pinspiration” - November 28, 2012

[…] source/tutorial […]

3. Christmas Photo Ideas | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 10, 2013

[…] a child’s photo on one side, and their Christmas wish list on the other. As we placed those Photo Christmas List Ornaments on our tree this year, I knew I wanted to do something similar again in […]

4. Rolled paper christmas ornaments | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 11, 2013

[…] Christmas Wish List Photo Ornaments […]

5. Christmas Ornaments | wine & glue - November 5, 2013

[…] List Ornaments by Hiedi at Honeybear Lane for my kids while they are little. 17. These Photo Christmas List Ornaments by Amy at Positively Splendid are another great way to capture your kids over the years. 18. After doing the ruffle wreath last […]