December 5, 2011

Whimsical Christmas Mantel Decor

Take a whimsical detour from traditional holiday decor this year and try a new, whimsical approach! My whimsical Christmas mantel is brimming with fun DIY details to inspire you.

I love all of the whimsical details in this fun Christmas mantel as Positively Splendid!

I am so, so excited about how our Christmas mantel turned out! Most of my Christmas decor is the traditional red, green and gold, but this year I wanted to change things up in our living room with something totally different.

Y’all know I’m a girl who loves lots and lots of color, and this display is proof positive of that! My goal was to create something bright and fun that would absolutely delight my children and convey the childlike wonder of Christmas.

I have been dreaming for years of having silhouettes hanging over our mantel for the holidays, and this year was the year to make that happen! I used my tutorial for creating silhouettes with Photoshop Elements to turn profile photos of each child into jpeg images, and I then printed each out as an 8×10 and matted and framed them in $5 frames from Walmart. Because I printed the photos with supplies I already had on hand, this artwork only set me back $20!

I love the way my Rolled Crepe Paper Rosette Tree accents everything so nicely and really draws in the eye. I found the candy cane and wrapped candy ornaments (in just the colors I needed!) at Target for $2 each.

I hadn’t planned initially to display the Photo Christmas List Ornaments I made for each child on the mantel, but when everything started to come together, I knew they would be perfect placed above each child’s stocking. I love that they mimic the look of stocking holders, but that I’ll be able to switch them out each year!

I purchased this lollipop ornament from Target for $2, and I accented everything with red ornaments I had in my stash of Christmas decor.

Here are all of our stockings all lined up in a nice little row! These were indeed a labor of love, but I am thrilled with the end result. (Head over to my Whimsical Christmas Stocking tutorial to see how I put these together.)

I tucked a little sprig of glittery greenery in each stocking for good measure. (I posted some stocking-hanging tips last week.)

I knew I wanted a garland in lime green and turquoise to go behind the stockings, and I had initially planned to make one with tissue paper pom poms until I had the idea to use feather boas purchased from Joann. I simply twisted the two together (purchased with 40% off coupons for $4 each) and hung them on the mantel, flanking either end with a red houndstooth bow.

Brightly colored ornaments placed in a large jar and a ribbon-wrapped pillar candle round out the display.

Even if your home doesn’t have a mantel, you can still create a similar display on a bookshelf, a hutch, a piano top, a console table, or just about any other flat surface. Your creativity is the only limit!
Wanting even more mantel inspiration? Be sure to check out my Red, Gold and Lime Christmas Mantel.

, , , ,

47 Responses to Whimsical Christmas Mantel Decor

1. Katie December 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

OMG! I’m loving your mantel… super jealous that I don’t have a mantel at this time of year!

2. Blessed December 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

I love your bright mantle! Those stockings are wonderful – our stockings were all hand-knitted by my grandmother who passed away less than a year after she finished my baby’s stocking so they are precious to me and we won’t be replacing them but I might have to make some like yours to decorate with sometime when we have more spaces to decorate!

3. Amanda @ Serenity Now December 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Amy, your mantel is stunning!! I love the pops of color and the fun little ornaments. Just beautiful. Pinned this. :)

4. CreativeChaos December 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

You are awesome! I love the color choices!

5. Amy at Ameroonie Designs December 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Absolutely darling Amy! I love the bright colors and the fun look of the whole display. And way to rock the stockings! I love them. :)
    xoxo,
    Amy

6. Jeni December 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

So great! I have a bunch of small glass ball ornaments that I haven’t put up for years (from our pre-kid days). I am going to find a great glass jar and put them out today! Thanks for the inspiration!

7. FancieStrands December 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

FABULOUS! The stockings are the best.

8. Jen-CraftOManiac December 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

SOOOOOO darn cute, I ADORE IT!!! WINKS, jen

9. Lookiewhatidid December 5, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

One of the prettiest mantels…I love it…just shared it on facebook. Beautiful!!!!!

10. Debbie Faber December 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

That is a very classical and fun presentation…I give it an 11 out of ten!

11. Amanda K @ Every Creative Endeavor December 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Darling! I love your stockings! So cute!

12. Maria December 6, 2011 at 3:38 am #

This is adorable! I love the whimsical look, it kind of reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for some reason! Really cute!

13. Finding Charm December 6, 2011 at 4:04 am #

What a great and fun mantle. I bet the kids love it.

14. Sara December 6, 2011 at 5:39 am #

Oh my this is fabulous!! This is SO adorable!! Hoping you can link this up at my turquoise lovin’ party going on right now!! (red during the holidays too) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/12/turquoise-lovin-16.html

15. Hollie - TheSevenYearCottage December 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I love your mantle all decked out for Christmas!

16. rebecca @ beurrista December 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

it is, indeed, positively splendid! fun and whimsical, the mantle is amazing. kudos to you for a great job.

17. Deana December 7, 2011 at 4:23 am #

That is so creative…Love it…found you on little luna party….
    your newest member CountryMomCooks

18. Tenille December 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I absolutely love this mantel. I love everything about it. The colors, the decor and the stockings are to die for. Thanks for sharing.
    I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now.

19. The Yellow Cape Cod December 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Wow, the color combination is striking. Everything is gorgeous. Your mantle is right up my alley…

Merry Christmas ~Sarah

20. Ashley | Domestic Fashionista December 8, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Soooo pretty! I love bright whimsical Christmas decor and you knocked this one out of the parks! And that little rose tree is so sweet…I wouldn’t necesarilly think Christmas but with that little bow it ties in so well! Very inspirational! Visiting via Beth’s party!

21. Maggie @ Black and White {Side by Side} December 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

One of my favorites!!! Linked back to you in a little post on my blog :) http://sidebysideblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-mantel-ideas.html

22. Sherika Lovett Alston December 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

WOW! Your mantel is awesome! I love every detail!! Your newest fan!

23. Ashley H December 8, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

I adore bright colors for Christmas decor. I am so jealous of all these mantles. Cannot wait to have my own someday!

24. thehandcraftedcottage December 9, 2011 at 2:58 am #

I ABSOLUTELY am in love with this!!!! I hope you don’t mind but I’m going to try re-create my own version in purples and golds! I downloaded a trial version of PS (I have never ever used it before) and I can tell you, your tutorial was excellent because I was actually able to do it! The only thing I couldn’t figure out was how to get a circle shape around the silhouette and then the square outer part! I did manage to do something nice, however, with one of the oval shape frames. I can’t wait to pull everything together!!! :)

I hope you consider doing a mantel-scape for after the holiday season too!!! :)

25. Mrs Aussie December 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I just would like to say I love your Christmas mantel, I have added your tutorial to my blog.

happy holidays

26. Kara @ June & Bear December 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

I love this mantel. It’s so fun and Seuss-ian.

27. Confessions of a Paper-Crafts Chick December 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

I luv whimsical and these Christmas stockings are absolutely the cutest I’ve ever seen. Thanks for sharing; I’m looking forward to many more of your fun post.
    Have a wonderful Christmas

Confessions of a Paper-Crafts Chick

craftschick.blogspot.com/

28. Classy Clutter December 10, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

Totally LOVING your stockings and your mantel!

29. Jennifer @ Just A Girl December 11, 2011 at 12:33 am #

This is quite possibly the brightest and cutest mantel I have ever seen. I am a traditional red, green and white girl for Christmas, but this seriously made me rethink my theme. I love it!!!

30. Jamie @ Sew Rockin' December 11, 2011 at 5:28 am #

OMG those stocks are amazingly gorgeous! Ok…Wow!

31. nest of posies December 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

amy – this is down right fabulous!

beautiful job. and to think you have a new little one….goodness gracious, YOU are supermom!

xo
    kellie

32. Nif December 12, 2011 at 11:42 am #

I love your mantel! The colors are so cute and fun. I bet your kids just love it, too! (Santa’s going to enjoy coming down your chimney!)

I just had to include you in my blog post:

33. Jamie @ Sew Rockin' December 17, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I just wanted to let you know that I featured your stockings yesterday on “You Sew Rock Me Fridays” at my blog Sew Rockin’. Here’s the link: http://www.sewrockin.com/2011/12/16/you-sew-rock-me-fridays-9.

34. arrielle_p April 18, 2012 at 2:32 am #

What a lovely decorations your mantel have. Really perfect for a holiday. :)

manila condominiums

35. I love every inch of this!

1. Great Ideas - - 20 AWE Inspiring Mantels & Christmas Decor!! - December 6, 2012

[...] Whimsical Mantel @ Positively Splendid [...]

2. DIY Projects to Save You $100′s (Part One) | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] I often have people tell me they would love to do more DIY projects, but they are turned off by the fact that buying the supplies needed for a project often costs just as much as it does to go with the ready-made option. It is true: some DIYs can wind up costing more than what you can buy ready-made, but there are plenty of categories where you can save hundreds of dollars by exerting some elbow grease and doing things yourself. Today begins a two-part series where I am going to share six different categories where DIYing really can save you money!one.Decorative AccessoriesSpending $30 here and $30 there on trinkets and baubles to accent your home might not seem like a lot at the time, but it really starts to add up in the long run! Check out your thrift store, flea market, or even consider upcycling items you might otherwise throw in the garbage, like bottles, jars and cans. Another great place to look: the clearance section at Hobby Lobby. You can often find home decor items with minor blemishes (cracks, chipped paint, etc.) discounted as much as 90%, and with a little bit of glue and/or paint to fix these cosmetic issues, they will be as good as new and perfect for adorning your home! There is a set of greens birds you might have noticed in a few of my home decor displays.My Christmas mantel… [...]

3. Stenciled Silhouette Tote | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] had already created the silhouette images for my Christmas mantelscape using my tutorial for creating silhouettes with Photoshop Elements, so to start, I printed those [...]

4. Lil' Luna Link Party #56 - Lil' Luna - March 20, 2013

[...] Whimsical Christmas Mantel from Positively Splendid [...]

5. Valentine Mantel | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 21, 2013

[...] of style!As I packed away my stockings after Christmas, I realized many of the elements from my Christmas mantel display would transition very well into a Valentine motif. Instead of completely reinventing the wheel and [...]

6. 13 Holiday Mantel Decorating Ideas - August 1, 2013

[...]  Whimsical Christmas Mantel ~ Adorable whimsical stockings are hung from the chimney with care while silhouette of the children [...]

7. DIY Paper Ornament {Chirstmas Craft} I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking - September 9, 2013

[…] Whimsical Christmas Mantel […]

8. Christmas Mantels | inspiringhomestyle - November 5, 2013

[…] These stockings and colors are wonderfully playful and fun! Positively Splendid […]

9. Rolled Rosette Christmas Tree Craft | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 6, 2013

[…] this project? Check it out in my Whimsical Christmas Mantel. …or in my Valentine’s Day Mantel! And also check out this fabulous round-up of […]

10. Whimsical Christmas Stocking Pattern and Tutorial | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 7, 2013

[…] stockings that I made for my mom and dad so much, I made a similar set of these stockings for my Whimsical Christmas Mantel Display. You won’t want to miss all of the fun DIY details in that mantel design!   Looking […]

11. 25 Stunning Mantel Decoration Ideas for Christmas - December 2, 2013

[…] Whimsical Mantel This is great – a mix of neons and an really bright colors create a funky festive style fireplace. source @ positivelysplendid […]

12. 25 Best Christmas Mantels for Holidays - Craftionary - December 5, 2013