January 25, 2012

Valentine Mantel

Let’s face it: sometimes decorating your home has to take a backseat to being a mama, driving the carpool, cooking, cleaning, and all of the other standard business of maintaining a household. By planning ahead just a bit to incorporate elements that can transition well from one season to the next, you can streamline your decorating investment without sacrificing your sense of style!
As I packed away my stockings after Christmas, I realized many of the elements from my Christmas mantel display would transition very well into a Valentine motif. Instead of completely reinventing the wheel and starting from scratch for my Valentine mantel, I retained certain elements from my Christmas display (the framed silhouettes, the rolled rosette tree, and the feather boa “swag”) and then put a Valentine stamp on things by adding a handful of other decorative touches, many of which I already had in my stash of seasonal decor items. What a time (and money!) saver!
The only items I had to purchase to put together this mantel were a heart wreath form and the X and O papier mache letters. That’s it! Everything else was in my creative stash. I love when I am able to do that!

In case you missed it, I shared the tutorial last year for how I create these silhouette images using Photoshop Elements. I knew the perfect way to really set them off would be to hang a heart wreath at the center of the grouping. I was incredibly inspired by these gorgeous heart wreaths Myra at My Blessed Life shared earlier this month, but because I didn’t have any satin on hand in the color I needed in order to use her technique, I decided to refer back to my tutorial for how to create a simple ruffled wreath using my short-cut ruffling method (no gathering required – such a timesaver!) and scraps of fabric leftover from the Christmas stockings I made last month.

Guess what I used as a hanger on the back of this gem? You guessed it: a pop tab, a trick I shared yesterday in my 12 Why-Didn’t-I-Think-of-That? tips!

By removing the green bow from my rolled rosette topiary tree and replacing it with a turquoise one, the tree instantly became Valentine-worthy. I replaced the silver candle holder I used to elevate the tree in my Christmas mantel display with a clear glass holder to lighten things up a bit.

These little felt bird sachets were some that I created for a bird-themed baby shower I hosted a couple of years go. I thought their little heart wings made them a perfect addition to this display! The felt heart box is a gift Matt and I received from a sweet friend at our Valentine engagement party eons ago.

For my quilted X and O letters, I used the same basic technique from my quilted chevron monogram tutorial, with a few modifications. I’ll be sharing a full tutorial for exactly how I created this version soon, so stay tuned!

A few weeks ago while clicking through Pinterest, I came across this tutorial for how to create this super-easy felt heart garland from Betz White. From start to finish, this project took me a half hour, and I absolutely love how it turned out! This would be a terrific project to help older kiddos hone their sewing skills.

I rounded things out with matching red and white plates and three pink and white striped bows. Bright and fun!

Do you do a Valentine mantel? Remember, even if you don’t have a traditional mantel to work with, you can create a fun display on top of a shelf, hutch, piano, console table, or any other flat surface!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Home Stories A to Z
Tidy Mom
Serenity Now
Hoosier Homemade
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Nest of Posies
The Idea Room
Tatertots and Jello
Skip to My Lou
Decor Chick

60 Responses to Valentine Mantel

1. Trish January 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

I LOVE the vibrant colors. Red and pink are great, but it’s nice to incorporate others for v-day too.

I’m working on a spot in my house that I can really go wild with holiday decorating. I’m the kind of person who needs that stuff contained, so it’ll be nice when I have one dedicated spot for all things festive :)

2. Jen-CraftOManiac January 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

SOOOOOOOO ADORBS. winks, jen

3. The Smiths January 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Oh my, your mantel decorations are adorable!!! I just love your blog. You have such cute ideas and are so talented.

4. DHardt January 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Envious :) I don’t have a mantel to decorate and I’m not sure mine would be that pretty if I did!

5. Shirley January 25, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

I love what you have done!

6. Sara January 25, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

This is absolutely ADORABLE!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin’ party going on right now! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

7. {northern cottage} January 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

oh so pretty – i love love the crisp bright photos – amazing!

8. Amanda Whitworth January 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

How incredibly adorable is this! I wish I had a mantel so I could do fun stuff like this :) Nice work!

9. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} January 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Amy this is adorable!! I love the bright colors and those letters!! Oh they are perfect. I can’t wait for the tutorial!!

10. Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} January 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Ok… this is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!! I want to recreate this exactly… lol!!!

11. Taryn January 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

This is adorable! I love everything about it! The birds are so cute and the colors are great.

12. Jen @ My Own Road January 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Love it, so pretty and colorful!

13. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants January 26, 2012 at 12:48 am #

The other day I saw a blogger who is going to have or has had a link party for you to tell who your blog crush is. I can’t remember who was doing it so I can’t join in, but you were totally going to be mine. I love everything you do and your beautiful pictures and great tutorials! This mantel totally explains why I think your blog is fantastic, just love it!

14. Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft January 26, 2012 at 1:46 am #

Ugh.. I’m in love!!

15. Amanda @ Serenity Now January 26, 2012 at 3:11 am #

Love!!!! I love that you included other colors besides traditional red, white, and/or pink. :)

16. Shan January 26, 2012 at 4:02 am #

This is pretty incredible! Yep! So glad I had the opportunity to witness such greatness. Yes, I’m serious. ;) Way to go!

17. Robin January 26, 2012 at 6:19 am #

What a fun mantel! Makes me really wish I had one to decorate. On my list when I start looking for a house. One day.

18. Jensamom23 January 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

That is beauriful and using what you had is fabtastic! Great Job!

19. twolivecolorfully January 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

How gorgeous! I’m loving all of the non-traditional valentine’s colors going on around the blog-o-sphere. I came over from the A2Z link party!

I’m also loving, using what you’ve got. I did my whole valentine’s mantle for the cost of one bag of pink and red m&m’s!

20. Lynette January 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

I absolutely love the color combination, so very cute!

21. Gallamore West January 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Beautiful! I love how bright and cheery and non-traditional Valentine’s Day colors it is, but still totally looks like Valentine’s Day. LOVE it! And those silhouettes are precious!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

22. Kerry Rossow January 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

What a cheery valentine display! I love the xoxo!
    Have a great weekend!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

23. Samantha January 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

You rocked this! What a happy mantle!
    Visiting from Serenity Now. I didn’t do my mantle, but I did make some fun things. Come check them out!

:) Samantha
    craftytexasgirls.com

24. A Blissful Nest January 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Oh my gosh this is too cute! Just found you via Nest Of Posies link party. I love the heart wreath in the middle.

25. A Blissful Nest January 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Ps- just shared on my FB page!

26. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper January 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Amazing! Just love the color combo. I hope you will link this up to I Heart Projects Linky Party.

27. Karen January 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

It all looks so pretty! I love the felt heart banner! So cute! love the cute silouettes! they are 2 die 4!

28. Amy January 28, 2012 at 2:29 am #

I looove everything about this! The silhouettes, the felt heart banner…the colors!! Fabulous! Would you consider sharing here?

29. Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State January 28, 2012 at 3:23 am #

This is so cute! LOVE the bright colors!

Visiting from Serenity Now!

30. Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted January 28, 2012 at 6:43 am #

Love the silhouette art amongst the pretty color combo!

31. Ruth January 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

I love the bright mantle. The colors are wonderful. Love the combination and different elements.
    Ruth

32. Pamela January 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Your mantel is so fun and bright. I want to make the birds. They are so sweet!

33. TidyMom January 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I’m in love with your mantel!! I wish I had one!!

Thanks for linking up this week! I featured you post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/valentines-day-crafts-food-decor/

have a fabulous Sunday!

34. The Tootsie Wootsie January 29, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

JUST LOVE!!!

-Tootsie.

35. Bounced Blessings January 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

What A Wonderful Mantel Display!

The Heart Garland is Beyond Precious!

36. (un)Deniably Domestic January 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Your mantel is ever, ever so sweet. ~Kelly

37. Kristi January 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

This is just lovely! Adore the colors of red & aqua together. Would be delighted if you’d link up to my brand new par-tay: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/01/mop-it-up-mondays-party-1.html
    {HUGS},
    kristi

38. the Turquoise Iris January 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Love the Portraits…just ordered some of my own kiddos.

39. Crafty Batches January 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

This would make me so happy every day I came home. Thank you so much for all of the tutorials to go along with it, amazing!

~Sam

40. I am LOVD February 1, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Came from Crafted Sparrow and just wanted to tell you how much I love your mantel – color scheme is my new favorite combo!

41. Sue February 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I love the silhouette’s, they really add to the mantel decor. I’d love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

42. ClassiclyAmber February 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

I totally love this – and you did such a fabby job reworking your Christmas decor into something new + just as fun! Great, great work. :D

43. njordon February 25, 2012 at 1:32 am #

Love, love, this! Joined and featured mantel on my site. Please stop by at http://www.gracefulmoms.blogspot.com!

44. Amy Lou January 21, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

Just wanted to let you know I featured your project on my “Fifteen Favorite Finds Valentines” on my blog! Thanks for the inspirations! <3 Amy Lou

45. M January 1, 2014 at 9:26 pm #

Where do you get the heart form for your wreath? It’s so cute!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid January 6, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Hi! I found my wreath form in the floral section at Jo-Ann.

1. Last Minute Valentine Ideas - January 12, 2013

[...] Valentine Mantel from Positively Splendid [...]

2. Valentine's Mantel Roundup - Home Stories A to Z - January 16, 2013

[...] Silhouette Art Valentine’s Mantel by Positively Splendid. [...]

3. DIY Valentine’s Day Heart-Shaped Crafts That Say I Love You - January 23, 2013

[...] Valentine Mantel with a stunning heart wreath at its core and its maker says that you can pretty much pick it off from where you left it off during Christmas and New Year. [...]

4. Ruffled Heart and Silhouette Valentine Wreath | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 8, 2013

[...] might recognize the wreath itself from my 2012 Valentine’s Day mantel. (For the details for how to make a wreath like this one, check out my simple ruffled wreath [...]

5. Valentine's Day Tree Vignette | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 11, 2013

[...] of the cabinet, I displayed a fun Felt Heart Garland which originally made an appearance in my 2012 Valentine Mantel. My DIY Sunburst Mirror is the backdrop for the display. I love how it frames everything so [...]

6. No-Fail Methods for Hanging Wall Art | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] fully trust this for breakable objects like plates, but for small, lightweight items like the wreath in my Valentine mantel… or the quilted letter in my Hallway command center, this trick is perfect! [...]

7. Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] pictured in the photo here, and it is actually a decorative plate (the same one pictured in my Valentine mantel, actually!) that we received as a wedding gift eons ago. It was manufactured by a company called [...]

8. A Guide to Proper Pintiquette {Pinterest Tips & Tricks} | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 21, 2013

[...] about when I realized how repinning can be less than ideal:Remember the heart garland I used in my Valentine Mantel? I discovered that idea one day as I was be-bopping through Pinterest, and I loved it so much that I [...]

9. Quilted & Piped Letter Tutorial | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 21, 2013

[...] recently shared my Valentine Mantel display, which includes a sweet little set of X and O letters as one of the decorative elements. I love [...]

10. DIY Valentine's Day Mantel Decor | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - July 9, 2013

[...] crafted this No-Sew Quilted and Piped X & O set for last year’s Valentine mantel, and they look terrific displayed at center stage in this year’s display. These are so easy to [...]

11. Favorite Finds Valentine’s! | Steal Mag - September 12, 2013

[…] EVENT! (source) image. FAVORITE PHOTOSHOOT! (source) image.FAVORITE MANTEL! (source) image. FAVORITE PRINTABLES! (source) image 1.                 […]

12. Love is in the air (DIY Valentine’s Mantel) | Steal Mag - September 17, 2013

[…] Mantel Inspirations!From Here Comes the Sun!From Remodel and Do La Casa!From Positively Splendid!From My Blessed Life! Hope you enjoyed!Lovely Decorating!xx, ALFSource (adsbygoogle = […]

13. Rolled Rosette Christmas Tree Craft | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 6, 2013

[…] this project? Check it out in my Whimsical Christmas Mantel. …or in my Valentine’s Day Mantel! And also check out this fabulous round-up of 12 fun topiary Christmas tree ideas! […]

14. LOVE-ly Valentine’s Mantels & Decor - January 10, 2014

[…] Positively Splendid didn’t disappoint with her banner.. a double decker if you will!! I can’t get over the […]