April 16, 2012

White and Gold Mantel

Now that Easter is come and gone, I have been itching for a change for my mantel. I need something that I can display for a while since the next couple of months promise to be somewhat hectic, and I don’t foresee having an abundance of decorating time at my disposal.

I have shared in passing the fact that I come from creative stock, as y’all have seen in the many creations I’ve shared that have been sewn by my talented mom. What you might not know, however, is that my dad is extremely talented in his own right, earning various accolades as an oil painter specializing in impressionistic landscapes. I count myself so fortunate to have a home filled with his artwork, and as I was planning this mantelscape, I knew I wanted to let my favorite painting of his from our collection shine at center stage.

Isn’t it lovely? What I love more than anything about my dad’s art is that he can take an everyday thing like clothes on a line in a tiny New Mexico village and present it in a truly captivating way. He inspires me to see beauty everywhere, even in the most unexpected places!

I am loving metallic tones lately, and in particular gold and brass. Maybe I’ve been watching too much Downton Abbey. ;) Because this painting is framed in gold, I chose to go with a white and golf motif for this display. I love how the neutral colors of the various elements here really make the vibrant colors of the painting pop!

As I was poring over my collection of knickknacks to find white elements suitable for my mantel, I had a sudden epiphany: my china, which is usually relegated to the back of my hutch and only pulled out for very special occasions, would be perfect to go along with this. I have always loved my china pattern, and finding a new way to enjoy a few of the pieces from my collection makes me so happy!

I chose to hang two dinner and salad plates on the wall to flank either side of the painting. You might be wondering why I opted to use traditional plate hangers and not the DISChangers I mentioned in my post about how to hang art last week. My reason: I wanted to still be able to utilize these plates for their traditional purpose without having to worry about removing the adhesive from the DISChangers later on.

Atop the mantel, I placed a white pitcher filled with fresh sunflowers, another reinforcement of the gold color motif.

I created two gold sequin topiaries nestled inside cups and saucers from my china collection. I love how these little guys shimmer and shine, and I can’t wait to share with you how I made them on Wednesday!

I found the horse bust on clearance at Target last week, and I couldn’t resist bringing him home. I think he makes for a unique conversation piece!

To round out the display, I placed a simple white square dinner plate (also purchased at Target for just $4) on a stand, and I filled the creamer and sugar set from my china with flower cuttings for some added pops of color.

This display is so simple, but I adore how it incorporates so many elements that have so much personal meaning! This is probably my favorite mantelscape I’ve ever created.

Do you have china that is usually stored away, only to be pulled out for holidays and special occasions? Consider bringing some pieces out to enjoy for a display like this one!

Thanks so much for stopping in!

Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z
Serenity Now
Tatertots and Jello
Oopsey Daisy
Creations by Kara
Every Creative Endeavor
Lolly Jane
Lil Luna
Flamingo Toes

12 Responses to White and Gold Mantel

1. Beth April 16, 2012 at 11:25 am #

love the topiaries! can’t wait for wednesday…I’m so going to pin them:)

2. Fox Hollow Cottage April 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

The sunflowers are stunning! How fun to get to really enjoy your china too =) Bet it makes ya smile!

3. Maureen Hayes April 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Of course I thought it was pretty when I saw the pictures, but I LOVED it when you explained the meaning behind each piece! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your beautiful mantle!

4. Donna Huisinga April 16, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Pretty. I pinned this to my Mantel Pinboard. Nice to have one that is not holiday-related.

5. Bronwyn April 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

I love the kick of yellow! It’s just what we need to jolt us out of a slump on any of these rainy spring days.

Queen B Creative Me

6. Heidi @ Honeybear Lane April 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

I love this simple and fun summery mantle. Especially the horse and the sunflowers! Also Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment :) And congrats on reaching 4000 followers via GFC!

7. Amanda @ Serenity Now April 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

I like it! It’s sophisticated and fun at the same time. Your dad is very talented, and so are you!

8. Laura April 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

How wonderful to display such a special painting! It is beautiful, and I love the whole mantel. It’s so pretty, especially the sunflowers, and so emotionally compelling with the use of your beloved china and your dad’s painting. Perfect for spring!

9. Donna Wilkes April 22, 2012 at 12:32 am #

Followed over from Serenity. I love that painting of the wash your father did. The neutrals and the painting and the gold accents are a home run.

10. Josh June 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Your hanging artwork is awesome. I love the sunflower, very stunning!

1. Sequin Teacup Topiaries | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[…] week, I shared the reveal of my new White and Gold mantelscape, which I created using some items near and dear to my heart, including a painting by my talented dad […]

2. 5 Budget Home Decorating Tips | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 24, 2013

[…] pieces rarely see the light of day, except for on very special occasions. As I was planning my spring mantel last year, it dawned on me that my china pattern would make for a really lovely display, so I took […]