June 12, 2012

Vintage Lace Brooches

There is something about cotton lace that just exudes vintage charm. Today’s tutorial shows you how to create lovely gathered flowers from such lace to create the perfect backdrop to showcase pretty buttons, or in this case, some lovely rhinestone pendants from the Styled by Tori Spelling line of jewelry. These lace brooches, which mimic the look of crocheted blooms, would look lovely pinned to a sweater or purse, but I can also see them as the perfect embellishment for throw pillows or other home accessory items. And the best part of all? They are a snap to make! Let me show you how.

For this project, you will need…
Cotton lace
Embroidery needle
Thread
Brooch or other embellishment for the flower center

Cut a length of lace that measures approximately 18 inches. With your needle and thread, stitch a running stitch along one of the long edges of the lace, as shown, making sure to leave a tail of thread at your starting point for gathering purposes later on.

(To ensure the tail isn’t pulled through the lace as you work, affix a small piece of Scotch tape around it, as shown.)

When your stitching is complete, leave a tail at the ending point. Pull both tails to gather the lace along the stitches, until the lace forms a ring. Your flower is taking shape!

Now, tie the tails together into a knot, making sure to pull them very tight.

Your flower is complete!

Now, embellish the center of your flower as desired. Buttons, pearls, jewels, or brooches are all terrific options.

Thanks so much for making me a part of your day!

Serenity Now
Tatertots and Jello

19 Responses to Vintage Lace Brooches

1. Richella June 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Ah, Amy! I love this idea! And I just had a friend ask for ideas to use a bunch of doilies that her mother crocheted many years ago. I’m sure she could bunch up a doily and cut off any excess to achieve this look. I’m going to share your post with her right now! Thank you!

2. sip-n-wear June 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

wow really pretty.. i made a couple of broaches too, but yours are so much prettier…!

3. karen hornsten June 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

These are breathtaking. They would be a beautiful embellishment to my kusudama bouquets. Thanks for the nice tutorial. Karen

4. karen hornsten June 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Richella, i would not have your friend cut up hand crocheted doilies. They are soooo time consuming to make and have an historic value. They could be donated to a historical society. I would use cotten lace from the store or from other items but please don’t use the hand crocheted doilies that your friend’s mom handmade. Has your friend considered mounting and framing a few of those prized possessions for her walls?

5. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} June 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

These are so pretty Amy!! I love the look of the lace behind the brooches – it adds so much!

6. OksanaB June 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Beautiful brooches! So romantic! Thank you for the tut.

7. Mandy June 13, 2012 at 1:19 am #

Love the way these turned out!

8. Bonnie @ Uncommon June 13, 2012 at 1:57 am #

gorgeous Amy!!!

9. Goldie June 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Very cute idea!

10. Brooke June 17, 2012 at 12:47 am #

These are gorgeous!

11. Elaine November 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Well this is a late comment, but I saw your URL in te Consumer Crafts catalog I got today. I have made similar lace flowers and wondered what size the ones above are? I saw CC had similar pins for the center, they would make lovely holiday gifts. Thanks so much, just found your site and love it!

12. judy March 29, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Love this! I’m having a vintage themed wedding and I’m going to forego corsagesand make these instead. Thanks so much for this fab idea!

© 2009-2016. Positively Splendid. All rights reserved.