January 25, 2013

Ruffled Felt Heart Kissing Ball (Valentine Craft Idea)

If you are on the lookout for a fun, simple valentine craft idea, these Ruffled Felt Heart Kissing Balls might be right up your alley! They are a snap to put together, and they are the perfect craft project to do with friends or children since the work can easily be done in assembly-line fashion. Why not grab the supplies you need (there are only three!) to make a few of these beauties this weekend? Let me show you how easily it’s done.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Craft

For this project, you will need…

• Styrofoam balls (mine is 4 inches, but any size will do)
  • Red and white felt
  • Pointed foam tool (or a chopstick)

To start, use your foam tool or chopstick to trace a heart shape on the front of your foam ball. It should be large enough to cover the entire front portion of the ball, and deep enough that you can easily see it as you work.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Craft

Cut the felt into 1- to 1 1/2-inch circles. You will need two different piles of felt circles: red and white. Note: The size of your circles will determine the overall fullness of your finished project, so if you would rather have looser, fuller ruffles, cut larger circles. For tighter ruffles, use smaller circles.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Tutorial

Working around the heart shape you made earlier, press the circles of white felt down into the indentation using the pointed foam tool. Press down into the center of each circle so that it is pressed through the foam as you work.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Tutorial

Work all the way around the heart shape before filling in the shape with additional circles in the same manner.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Tutorial

Outline your white heart with circles of red, as shown. Now, fill in the remainder of the exposed foam with additional red circles, until the entire surface of the ball is covered.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Tutorial

You are finished!

These would be darling made into topiaries, or used as a vase filler in centerpieces and more.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Craft

I placed mine in one of the footed cloches in my Valentine’s Day mantel display, along with a darling cupcake make-and-take project I crafted at the CHA show a couple of weeks ago.

Felt Heart Kissing Ball Craft

At CHA, I had the pleasure of attending the FloraCraft Foam Fusion breakfast. We learned so much about how to work with Styrofoam by using different techniques and tools: cutting, painting, embellishing and more. The cupcake make-and-take was my favorite part of the morning. The process used to make them is essentially the same as the one used for the kissing ball, except you only cover the top half of the ball with felt, and you place the ball into a cupcake liner once you are finished. Easy as can be!

Styrofoam and Felt Cupcake Craft

If you like to work with Styrofoam, the tools we used for our projects really make cutting and manipulating it so much easier. I highly recommend them! The tool from the set that I used for this particular project is the long tool with one pointed end and one ball-tip end. The ball-tip end is just what you need to trace your heart shape in the first step, and the pointed end is perfect for poking the felt down into the ball as you cover your ball.

FloraCraft Foam Tools

FloraCraft Foam Tools

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Certain products featured in this post were given to me by FloraCraft on a complimentary basis. Rest assured that I am committed to sharing only products I feel my readers will benefit from and enjoy, and all opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own.

, , , , , ,

15 Responses to Ruffled Felt Heart Kissing Ball (Valentine Craft Idea)

1. Crystal January 25, 2013 at 9:42 am #

So cute and easy to make. I love it!! Thanks for sharing how to make it. :)

2. Janel from NellieBellie January 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

So cute!!! I love felt…and this is definitely why!

3. Sharon @ Crafts 'n Coffee January 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

That an adorable idea, Amy. And you’re right, it would make a sweet topiary, too. Thanks so much for sharing the Foam tools, and I’m so glad you could join us for the Foam Fusion breakfast. I’ll tweet, pin, etc., for sure! Sharon

4. Jo-Ann January 26, 2013 at 7:38 am #

so cute. Thank you for sharing. Amazing.

5. Michelle@somedaycrafts January 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Classy and beautiful…like everything you do! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

• Amy @ Positively Splendid January 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

Thanks so much, Michelle! :)

6. Ana Lopes January 26, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Adorable! Thanks so much for sharing the amazing tutorial!
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

7. Melanie Shannon February 1, 2013 at 11:11 am #

I think this is one of the most well done tutorials I have ever seen! Very nice!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid February 1, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Thank you so much, Melanie! I am so glad you stopped by.

8. jessica February 11, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

How many circles do we have to cut out for each color? Can’t wait to make this tomorrow!!!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid February 11, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Jessica, I can honestly say that I have no idea of an exact number. I didn’t keep track! LOL! I would guess that you will need around 50 of the red and 25 or so of the white, depending upon how tightly you poke the circles into the foam. I hope you enjoy this project!

9. Wendy c January 19, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Hi. I love the cupcakes!! I am going to make them with my kids today, but I do not understand how to do the cupcake liners! It seems as if a regular liner would crush under the weight of the ball. Please help!! Thanks

10. Wendy c January 19, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

Never mind! We figured it out. My kids lived this project! Thanks for sharing.

1. 36 Valentine "Heart" Projects - January 26, 2013

[…] Ruffled Felt Kissing Ball @ Positively Splendid  […]

2. Valentine Ruffled Felt Heart Kissing Ball & Cup Cake DIY · Felting | CraftGossip.com - February 1, 2013

[…] new crafters.  If you have been on the lookout for a fun, simple valentine’s craft idea, these “Ruffled Felt Heart Kissing Balls and Cup Cakes” might be right up your alley!  Amy of “Positively Splendid” is a wife, mama of three […]