Having a few creative kids’ craft ideas in your arsenal is always a good idea during the summer months, and today I am sharing a quick, easy craft idea suitable for children of all ages. Using air-dry craft clay and spaghetti noodles, these cute little hedgehogs can be put together in no time at all!
For this project, you will need…
- Air-dry craft clay: light brown, dark brown and white (we like Crayola Model Magic)
- Dried spaghetti noodles
- Black marker
- To begin, roll out a dark brown ball of craft clay. Lengthen the shape of the ball to form the body of the hedgehog.
- Roll out a smaller ball of light brown clay for the head, and four small balls of light brown clay for the feet. Attach these pieces to the dark brown body.
- For the face, roll two tiny balls of white for the eyes, and finish by adding a dark brown ball to form the nose.
- Use a piece of dried spaghetti to draw featured onto the hedgehog: toes on each of the feet, as well as a little mouth.
- Break the spaghetti into 1-inch pieces, and press down into the hedgehog’s back to form its quills. When finished, allow the clay to dry 72 hours before using a black marker to fill in the eyes.
My 5- and 7-year-old had a fantastic time putting together a whole family of cute little hedgehogs.
Our favorite part, by far, are their funny little spaghetti noodle quills!
For a great book to go along with this craft, check out The Hat by Jan Brett, a story with a sweet message and gorgeous illustrations that will draw you in time and time again!