I have a weakness for snacks that combine sweet and salty flavors! This candied honey-adobo popcorn is a savory-sweet treat with a hint of spiciness, and it is the perfect snack to serve at a big game, or even to package up as a unique gift. I will go on record that this is honestly the best snack recipe I have ever made, and I think you’ll feel the same way after your very first bite!
- 5 slices chopped, cooked bacon
- 10 cups prepared popcorn (see note below)
- 4-5 whole chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Place prepared bacon in the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Place chiles, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, honey and lime juice in a food process, and process until mixture is smooth and frothy. Transfer to a microwave-safe dish and heat on high until mixture boils, stirring after every minute, for about 2 minutes total. Stir in bacon and season with salt, if desired.
- Place popped corn in a very large bowl, and pour prepared sauce over, stirring well to coat. Transfer popcorn to a greased roasting pan. Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow mixture to cool completely before placing in an air-tight container for storage.
- If using bagged, pre-salted popcorn, there is no need to add additional salt to this recipe. If, however, you use plain kernels, additional salt should be added to taste.
Looking for even more spicy treats? Check out these yummy recipes!