Freshly baked scones are a delicious way to add a special touch to breakfast and brunch, and especially when they combine the delicious flavors of cherry and orange. These cherry scones feature a super-moist crumb that is studded with dried fruit and drizzled generously with orange-vanilla glaze. This is a wonderful scone recipe that you’ll want make again and again!
Cherry Scones with Orange-Vanilla Glaze
For the scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1 cup sour cream full-fat recommended
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to blend. Add butter to bowl, and pulse until mixture resembled coarse crumbs, with no piece larger than a pea. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in cherries and orange zest. Make a well at the center of the mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolk and sour cream. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture, and use a fork to stir until just combined. (At this point, the mixture may seem somewhat dry.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 10-12 times until the dough comes together. Shape and pat into a 7-inch circle. Using a pizza cutter or very sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges. Arrange scones on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before drizzling with prepared glaze.
For the glaze
- Combine powdered sugar, orange juice and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. If necessary, add a bit more orange juice until glaze reaches a drizzling consistency.
I’ve truly never had a scone with a more moist, tender crumb, thanks to the sour cream in the batter. They nearly melt in your mouth!
Looking for even more sweet inspiration? Don’t miss these other yummy recipes!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.