Freshly baked scones are a delicious way to add a special touch to breakfast and brunch, and especially when they combine the delicious flavors of cherry and orange. These cherry scones feature a super-moist crumb that is studded with dried fruit and drizzled generously with orange-vanilla glaze. This is a wonderful scone recipe that you’ll want make again and again!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream (full-fat recommended)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to blend. Add butter to bowl, and pulse until mixture resembled coarse crumbs, with no piece larger than a pea. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in cherries and orange zest. Make a well at the center of the mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolk and sour cream. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture, and use a fork to stir until just combined. (At this point, the mixture may seem somewhat dry.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 10-12 times until the dough comes together. Shape and pat into a 7-inch circle. Using a pizza cutter or very sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges. Arrange scones on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before drizzling with prepared glaze.
- Combine powdered sugar, orange juice and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. If necessary, add a bit more orange juice until glaze reaches a drizzling consistency.
- This recipe can also be prepared without a food processor by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then cutting in the butter with a pastry blender.
I’ve truly never had a scone with a more moist, tender crumb, thanks to the sour cream in the batter. They nearly melt in your mouth!
Looking for even more sweet inspiration? Don’t miss these other yummy recipes!