Every mom deserves an abundance of pampering on Mother’s Day, and if you are looking for the perfect way to make her feel extra special, there is no better way than with a luxurious breakfast in bed! Today, I’ve teamed up with the Michaels Makers team to create a lovely DIY breakfast tray that is perfect for serving up favorite treats in style. All you need to complete this project is just a handful of accessible supplies and a couple of hours’ time. Read on for all the details!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Michaels. All opinions are entirely my own.
To Make a DIY Breakfast Tray, You Will Need…
- Make Market Art Wood Cradle Board – 16×20″
- Foam Brushes
- Acrylic Paint – I used FolkArt Metallic Paint in Pure Gold
- Wrapping Paper (The houndstooth paper seen here is from the dollar section at Michaels)
- Mod Podge Hard Coat Formula
- Mod Podge Super Gloss Formula
Note: All supplies used in this post are available at Michaels.
- To begin, paint the outer rim of the cradle board with the acrylic paint using a foam brush. Apply as many coats as needed for even coverage, allowing paint to dry completely between coats.
- Trim a piece of wrapping paper to the exact dimensions of the inside bottom of the tray. (A rotary cutter and mat are handy for this.)
- Apply an even coat of the Mod Podge Hard Coat to the bottom of the tray using the foam brush, making sure to apply the Mod Podge all the way into the corners and edges.
- Carefully apply the wrapping paper piece to the bottom of the tray, smoothing out any bubbles with the side of a credit card.
- Apply two thin coats of the Mod Podge Hard Coat over the entire surface of the wrapping paper, allowing to dry 20 minutes between coats.
- If desired, apply a coat of the Mod Podge High Gloss around the outer rim of the tray for added durability and dimension.
- Allow tray to dry completely (preferably 24 hours) before use.
Once your tray is complete the fun can begin: planning a breakfast in bed for Mom to show her how much you love and appreciate her! Michaels is brimming with a wonderful selection of pretty plates, mugs and other goodies perfect for a special morning treat.
A metallic gold charger is perfect paired with a simple white plate at center stage. Doilies in bright colors make everything really pop!
Add a pretty black, white and gold mug filled with hot water and a coordinating glass plate filled with her favorite tea bags so she can sip in style.
A simple glass bottle is just right as a miniature bud vase to add some fresh florals to the mix.
Make sure to include Mom’s favorite treats as the main course. A sky-high cupcake might not be conventional breakfast food, but this is the one day of the year when any mom should feel totally free to splurge!
The sheen and dimension of the tray itself makes this a lovely gift in its own right! Even when not used as a breakfast tray, this would be lovely on a coffee table filled with magazines, or even as a catch-all on an entry table or nightstand.
Thanks so much for stopping in today. I hope you’re inspired make this Mother’s Day one to remember! Michaels has everything you need to craft the perfect handmade gift that will make Mom’s day. If you don’t know where to begin, you can always take a look at some of the fun projects on Michaels.com or the other 49 Makers’ ideas on The Glue String for to see how they personalized their crafts!
[inlinkz_linkup id=609166 noentry=1 mode=1]
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.