Sometimes the simplest projects can yield some impressive impact, and today’s quick and easy DIY fall decor project is certainly one of those! These DIY gilded pumpkins require just three supplies from Michaels and about a half hour or so from start to finish, and they are sure to add a touch of glamour to all of your fall decorations.
I’ve teamed up today with the Michael’s Makers team to create this project in the DIY Craft Pumpkin Challenge. All opinions are entirely my own.
For this project, you will need…
- White craft pumpkins in a variety of sizes and shapes
- Gold liquid gilding
- Paint brush
- Thumb tacks (optional, but recommended)
Tip: Be sure to cover your work surface before beginning to ensure any of the gilding that might spill/spatter as you create!
- Wipe the surface of the pumpkins clean with a cloth to remove any lint or other debris.
- Paint the desired designs with the liquid gilding onto the surface of the pumpkins, make sure not to overfill the brush with the liquid, as it is very thin and tends to drip when over-applied.
- Allow paint to dry completely. Helpful tip: Push four thumb tacks around the bottom of each one to create a “stand” to elevate the pumpkins slightly as they dry and prevent them from sticking to the surface.
Just three steps is all it takes to create beautiful gilded pumpkins that are perfect for adding to centerpieces, displaying on a mantel and so much more!
For my pumpkins, I painted vertical and horizontal stripes, but you could also create polka dots, herringbone, harlequin or any other design that fits your own style. There are tons of possibilities!
The liquid gilding really imparts a beautiful shine to these pumpkins that makes them look like they belong in a high-end boutique. I love that these are neutral enough to display throughout the fall season!
Now that September is here, are you ready kick off fall in your own home with some fun pumpkin projects? Visit Michaels.com and check out the variety of craft pumpkins available – there is every color, shape and size you could ever want! There are tons of ways to DIY your own craft pumpkin for your home, a party or even as a gift. If you’re looking for something a little bit different this year, Michaels recently started selling fun half pumpkins, perfect for fall décor wall mounts and fun signs.
And if you’re in need of even more fall décor inspiration, be sure to look at the 49 other DIY pumpkin projects from the rest of the Michaels Makers – they are fabulous!