Looking for a knock-out dessert recipe that is as pretty as it is delicious? These red velvet swirl brownies are brimming with over-the-top chocolate flavor and swirled with a rich cream cheese topping, and their gorgeous red hue makes them absolutely perfect for serving for holidays like Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or the 4th of July, or for packaging up to give as a pretty gift for someone special. Read on to grab the recipe!
Red Velvet Swirl Brownies
For the brownie batter
- 4 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ounce red liquid food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese topping
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom and sides of a 9x13" baking dish with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, for about 2 minutes total. Whisk mixture until it is smooth, and then whisk in the 2 cups of sugar. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Whisk in the food coloring and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Gently stir in the 1 1/2 cups flour and the salt, stirring just until all ingredients are blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- For the cream cheese topping, use an electric mixture to beat together the cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg whites and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and beat until smooth. Stir in the 2 tablespoons flour until smooth. Drop the mixture by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared batter in the pan; use a knife to swirl the cream cheese mixture through the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack before lifting the brownies from the pan using the foil as a "sling." Remove foil, and cut the brownies into squares.
This recipe red velvet brownie recipe yields a brownie with a moist, cake-like crumb. These are the perfect combination of a brownie and a piece of rich chocolate cake, and the luscious cream cheese topping makes them unbelievably delicious!
These make for a gorgeous presentation! How pretty would these be served at a festive gathering on any day of the year? Some great ideas:
- Topped with raspberries and chocolate sauce for a knock-out Valentine’s Day dessert
- Served with fresh blueberries and whipped cream for a patriotic dessert for Memorial Day or July 4th
- Topped with a serving of vanilla ice cream and green sprinkles for a special holiday meal dessert
On the lookout for even more yummy dessert recipes? Be sure to check out these other great ideas!
Chocolate Eclair Dessert
Lemon-Sour Cream Mini Bundt Cakes
Pecan Cheesecake Squares
Thanks so much for stopping in!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.
Kimberly Wootton says
I can’t get to any of your downloads, can you please send more information on the links.