- Apply 2-3 coats of acrylic paint using the foam brush to the outer ring of the embroidery hoop. Allow to dry completely.
- Place the embroidery hoop on the canvas. Trace around the hoop with the water-soluble pen. Set the hoop aside.
- Stamp various names or sentiments within the traced circle. Allow ink to dry for approximately 1 hour.
- With the shears, trim 1.5” away from the water-soluble traced line all the way around the perimeter of the circle. Fit the canvas piece into the embroidery hoop, making sure it is centered precisely.
- With the shears, make snips 1/2-3/4” apart around the entire perimeter of the overhanging edge of the canvas. Fold the snipped edges over toward the back side of the project, and affix them with hot glue to the inside edge of the hoop.
- Use shears to cut shapes from the wool felt, such as hearts, stars, animal shapes, etc. Use the embroidery needle and floss to hand-stitch the pieces to the canvas piece in the desired configuration. If desired, embellish the felt shapes further with buttons or other decorative items.
You are finished!
Although this is a project perfect for Valentine’s Day, this piece would be perfect for displaying the whole year through. I love the idea of making something similar for a baby nursery!
On the lookout for even more terrific Valentine’s Day decor inspiration? Don’t miss these other great projects!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.