August 16, 2010

We all scream for…

…Ice Cream!

This summer’s heat can only be summed up with one word: hellacious. Seeing triple-digit temperatures for each and every day in the extended forecast no longer causes me to bat an eye. My sweet Miss Charlotte is a firecracker, and it couldn’t possibly be more appropriate that her birthday happens to coincide with what is always the hottest time of the year! During these dog days, nothing has brought more glee to my kiddos than the sound of the ice cream truck rolling down our street, so when we asked Charlotte what she would most like to do for her birthday, her choice was clear. An ice cream party it would be! We arranged for the ice cream truck to come to our house for a special birthday visit, and it was awfully cute to see how excited all of the children got when they heard that familiar jingle coming down the street. The nice Frosty Treat man was even kind enough to play the Happy Birthday song for the occasion!
When I first started planning this party a few weeks ago, I immediately turned to my go-to stop for party themes: Lettering Delights. Their wares range from robots to rainbows and everything in between, so I knew I could find something perfect for my frosty treat theme. Imagine my delight when I discovered some of their newest additions to their lineup were based on a summer theme! I nearly squealed when I saw the popsicles, ice cream cones, and other treats in the Summer Popsicles & Treats Graphic Set. As an added bonus, they were all in the vibrant color scheme I had in mind. I love it when my planning efforts get off to such a terrific start! To round out my arsenal of goodies, I also bought the Summer Popsicles Alphabet (I knew the moment I saw it that it would make a darling little banner) and the Summer Treats Paper Pack. I knew among each of those products, I would be able to create everything I needed to make this party something truly special!
First things first: the invitations. I opted to use one of my ice cream graphics and one of my patterned papers to create a simple postcard for the event. By creating the invite in Photoshop on a 4×6 canvas, all that was left to do was print them off four to a sheet, then trim them down to send out. I matted my cards on red cardstock, but that is by no means a crucial step. (By the way, the script font I used here is also from Lettering Delights, LD Buttercream.)

Next up: the menu. Because the ice cream would be the focal point of the gathering, I knew a traditional cake would be unnecessary, but I knew I still wanted to create something cute and fun. (I love decorating cakes too much to have gone without making one entirely!) Recipes for ice cream cone cupcakes abound in blogland, and I knew this would be the perfect event to give those a whirl. Charlotte requested hot dogs as the main dish, so it was an easy task to round things out by preparing veggie and fruit trays with dip, chips, and Capri Suns to drink. A summary of the day’s menu:
Hot dogs with all the fixings
Chips
Veggie Tray with Herb Dip
Fruit Tray with Creamy Lemon-Vanilla Dip
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Capri Suns for the kids
Cokes, beer and tea for the adults
Now, the fun part: decorations! I could’ve gone absolutely bananas with this theme, since the fun, vibrant colors were so up my alley, but I had to practice a bit of restraint. :) Once my list of possibilities was whittled down, I was left with these fun elements:
An ice cream cone pinata
Party hats
Popsicle “tickets” for ice cream from the ice cream truck that also doubled as decor for the food table
A popsicle banner
Please note: Tutorials and recipes for these projects and dishes will be shared in the coming days.

When this sweet little thing awoke on Saturday morning and ventured into the kitchen, I could hear her gasp as she surveyed all of the goodies that had been prepared just for her big day. “Oh Mama…thank you, thank you, thank you! Can it stay like this forever?” Nothing makes all of that hard work more worth it than that. :) I hope you’ll stop by in the days to come to see more about how I put everything together!

Head here for a detailed post on the recipes I prepared for this party!

Skip to My Lou
Today’s Creative Blog
Tatertots and Jello
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Positively Splendid
to receive updates, and join us on Facebook and Twitter!

Subscribe in a Reader Receive Email Updates Follow on TwitterJoin us on Facebook

, , , , ,

23 Responses to We all scream for…

1. Brianna! August 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

LOVE the icecream cone cupie cakes
    SOOO colorful and pretties!

xoxo
    bB

2. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} August 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm #

Too fun! I love this theme and all of the fun colors. Your decorations look fantastic! I love that your local ice cream truck came to visit. So sweet.

3. HoosierHomemade August 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

So much fun! And she is just darling!
    Thanks for sharing the fun ideas!
    ~Liz

4. Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue August 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

What a fun party! I love it!

5. ellie g August 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

I have been doing the EXACT same thing. Summer Birthday party. And the heat….my goodness….the heat! I LOVE how yours turned out. The cupcakes are divine, and I love the invites as well. Super bright colors are always so much fun! Great job Amy. (and congrats on having it all done….I don’t know about you, but it was a huge weight off my shoulders to be DONE!! Maybe that’s just because I’m a complete stress case :)

6. Jessabells August 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

Wow, what a lucky little girl. The decorations look great and I’m sure the party was great too.

7. dogsmom August 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

The PERFECT party theme for this hotter than ever summer. Happy Birthday to your little firecracker!

8. Blessed Mommy of 2 August 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Oh how adorable! Miss Charlotte looks absolutely precious! And what a sweet comment! Can’t wait to see more posts on this party =)

9. Ott, A. August 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

So glad you are back blogging again. As always I love all of your attention to details and how matched and coordinated everything is. What a cute and fun party!!!!

10. Q August 17, 2010 at 2:44 am #

What a wonderful idea! Lucky girl for having such a creative and pretty party.

11. C.R.A.F.T. August 17, 2010 at 3:36 am #

YUM! come on over and link up to MMM!:)

12. Holly August 17, 2010 at 7:05 am #

Cute theme – love the ice cream cones. I always think I am crazy when I do a birthday party until I see the kids faces and they are overjoyed and then it is all worth it. Sweet!

13. Kristin August 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

The ice cream cone cupcakes are adorable! Love the bright colors!

14. Kim -today's creative blog August 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Great party! So cute. Thank you for linking.

15. idesign August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

so cute!!! i’ve bee waiting for a reason to make ice cream cone cupcakes :)

very cute blog, new follower! come by and say hi sometime :)

Jackie

16. malia August 18, 2010 at 3:54 am #

beautiful! i bet your little one had a great time

17. gnee @ Singing With Birds August 20, 2010 at 6:24 am #

Hi Amy.

Congratulations, your party made this week’s Top 5 Hits at Singing With Birds. Thanks for sharing such great projects, ideas and your talents with us. Happy weekend!

18. Heather Bredimus August 22, 2010 at 1:56 am #

Hi! I found your site off of Today’s Creative Blog! I love your craft! I’m going to have to use some of these ideas for my boys’ upcoming bday party! I just signed up to be your newest follower! Woo hoo! I hope you stop by my new blog. I just started it 2 months ago and would love new friends! Please come see me at http://www.modernfamilymagazine.com

-Heather-

19. I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes August 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

wow such a cute party! LOVE those ice cream cones, so cute! I’d love for you to link it up at sundae scoop! http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/

20. palazzl August 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

21. palazzl August 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

How do I get a template for these invites??? They are perfect for my 4 year olds ice cream end of chemo party we are having next month!

1. How to make a ruffled pinata | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 10, 2012

[...] Party OverviewParty RecipesParty Garland and Hats [...]

2. More Great Ideas {the SWEET edition} - November 22, 2012

[...] your teacher this year @ From Glitter to Gumdrops  Throw an Ice Cream Party {so cute!} @ Positively Spendid If your low on time, make a 5-minute Mug Cake! @ Saving Money & Living Life Go [...]