January 10, 2012

Valentine Doughnut Pops

I had a sudden epiphany the other day as I was walking through the grocery store bakery: When it comes down to it, the difference between the cake pops that are so popular right now and frosted doughnuts is fairly negligible. Both are sweet, yummy cake confections that are covered in chocolate. And both are made even more fun by being served on a lollipop stick!
These little doughnut pops are so quick and easy, it’s almost silly. We’re talking 15 minutes of active time to make the pops, plus a half hour or so to dress them up a bit. I think these little gems will be the perfect treat for my kiddos to give their friends this Valentine’s Day!

Start by gathering your supplies.

You’ll need:
Store-bought chocolate frosted doughnuts
White chocolate chips (or white candy coating)
Lollipop sticks
Small treat bags
Ribbon
Decorative tags
To make the tags for my pops, I used brand-new dies just released today from the Lifestyle Crafts Sweetheart line. Cute!!
All of the dies in this line are downright adorable, but something about that sprinkled doughnut from the Baked Goods Dies really speaks to me. :) For the base of my tags, I used heart shapes from the Nesting Eyelet Heart Dies. Easy peasy! Once my doughnuts were adhered to the front of the tags, I wrote a clever little message on the back of each one:
Donut” you wanna be my Valentine?

To assemble the pops, simply melt 1/4 cup or so of the the white chocolate chips in the microwave at 50% power for about 45 seconds. Dip your lollipop sticks into the melted chocolate, and push one up through the middle of each of your doughnuts.
Once all of your sticks are in place, pour your remaining melted chocolate into a zip-top bag (or a piping bag, if you’re feeling particularly fancy) and snip off the corner. Drizzle the chocolate over the pops to add a decorative touch.

Allow your chocolate to harden completely before placing your pops in the treat bags. Twist the bags around the lollipop stick and secure with a ribbon, threading the ribbon through your tags to tie them to your pops.
All finished!

If you want to dress these up even further, you could even affix a heart-shaped candy to the center of your doughnut with the melted chocolate. The possibilities are endless here!

As always, my lovely readers will receive 20% off the dies you see here  and other Lifestyle Crafts products simply be entering the code SPLENDID at checkout!

And, all of the Lifestyle crafts dies are compatible with any manual cutting machine, so even if you have a Cuttlebug, Big Shot, or other machine, you can still play along!

Some other projects I’ve done using Lifestyle Crafts products…

Have a sweet day! :)

Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z
Serenity Now
Oopsey Daisy
Lil Luna
Creations by Kara
Every Creative Endeavor
Tatertots & Jello
Flamingo Toes

I was provided free product from Lifestyle Crafts to review for this post. All opinions shared here, as always, are expressly my own.

18 Responses to Valentine Doughnut Pops

1. Kelli @ RTSM January 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Amy those donut pops are adorable! I have been trying really hard to think of something original for my boys to take to school this year. I have a few ideas, but none of them are as cute as yours:)

2. Jessica @ Plum Patchwork January 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

So cute! I love that happy little donut cutout!

3. Danielle January 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

I am definitely making these – what a great idea!

4. Amanda @ Serenity Now January 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

It’s not fair that you thought of these first! ;) Brilliant idea…and what a timesaver. They truly look custom baked/made.

5. Katie@a mom, a wife, and a me January 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Oh my word! So cute … and if you knew my daughter you would know she love mini donuts even more then she loves pink… she will need to do this!

6. Sue January 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Your donut pops are easy and oh, so cute! Great idea, and I love the tag too:)

7. Sky January 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Cute, cute Amy! Recently, for my youngest sisters bridal shower, my sister and I used donut holes almost just like this- inserted the stick and dipped them in candy melt :) Hope your holidays were great!

8. Ruby Jean January 10, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Oh YUMMY!!! I am thinking I would REALLY like to be on your Valentines List… :) CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!

9. marissa January 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

I love this idea, so so cute!

10. Rebecca Scott (aka Otter) January 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Now THIS is a cakepop project I can do. ;) I love that it’s really simple and yet wonderfully adorable. I don’t have those dies but I may have to go get some. <3

11. Kara @ Nest Candy January 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

I love the “Donut” you want to be my Valentine. How clever! I would much rather have a donut than a cake pop.

12. Crystal January 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Oh these look so easy to make!! I might have to give these a try!

13. Melanie January 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

These are genius! Please come link them up so I can share with my readers! Love them!

Smiles,
    Melanie

Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

14. Jerri Rivers January 11, 2012 at 2:33 am #

I love chocolate donuts! These look great!

15. Honour January 11, 2012 at 3:11 am #

what a great idea – a nice, crafty switch from the candy that all the other valentines come with!

16. Megan Hellrung January 18, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

These doughnuts are adorable !

I hope you will share them at my party, Some Good Stuff: http://some-good-times.blogspot.com/2012/01/some-good-stuff-3.html

Megan

17. Just Jaime January 19, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Cute and different! Love it!

1. Lil' Luna Link Party #61 - January 7, 2013

[...] TOP: Organize your Kid’s Crafts Prints from Queen B and Me – Family Tree Word Art from From Gardners to Bergers - Valentine Donut Pops from Positively Splendid [...]