February 28, 2012

Vibrant Spring Mantel

The March issue of Southern Living arrived on my doorstep late last week, and I was immediately smitten with the gorgeous springtime scene pictured on its cover.

Stunning, no? Something about that turquoise door juxtaposed against those bright pink and green hues lit a fire under me, and I knew immediately I wanted to use that as the springboard for my spring mantel.

Oh, how I love spring.

The promise of sunshine kissing my face.
Of days growing longer, little by little.
Of donning sundresses and sandals after a winter’s worth of cumbersome coats and boots.
Of becoming reacquainted with the outdoors to play in the yard and plant flowers.

Really, with the exception of spring storms (boo!), there just isn’t really much I can think of that I don’t adore about this season!

By taking elements from that Southern Living cover photo – namely the color palette and the overall composition – I was able to create a spring mantel that I think truly reflects all of the bright, happy feelings I have when spring arrives each year. And, since it looks like a scene from my back yard, I’ll be able to look at this when I’m stuck indoors during the inevitable last gasps of winter we’re sure to experience during the next few weeks. Allow me to give you a little “tour”!

I am loving all of the fun pallet artwork I’ve been seeing throughout the blogging world lately, and I have been wanting to create my own version for quite some time. I opted to put my own little spin on things, though, creating a vibrant turquoise pallet that looks like a funky little picket fence using pickets I scored for just over $1 apiece at Lowe’s. This gave me the fence-liked silhouette I was going for without having to use a jigsaw for shaping the pieces.

I have to admit that I am nursing quite the custom-colored chalk paint obsession ever since I finished the board for my hallway command center project. At the center of the pallet, I painted a section of chalk paint so that I can change out my sentiment whenever I want. For now, I am going with a springtime sentiment, but when Easter gets closer, I’ll change it to reflect that. I love this!

Be sure to check out the play-by-play for how I created my Picket Fence Chalkboard Pallet.

Inspired by Jen’s Valentine Vignette over at Tatertots and Jello, I decided to kick things up a bit with some fun medallion accents. Because I wanted to use up as much of the supplies I had on hand as possible for this display, I came up with a fun technique that allowed me to use fabric I already had in my stash instead of paper to make them.
Check out my post for how to make these fabric medallions – no sewing required!

I rounded out the display with a carpet of artificial grass I purchased at Hobby Lobby last year on clearance after Easter, some of the crosses from my collection, and a white vase I found a few weeks ago at Joann for just $3…

…a bowl filled with fresh lemons and ceramic birds that I found on 90% clearance at Hobby Lobby last year…

…and – of course – a healthy dose of bright flowers! I know a lot of people shy away from artificial flowers, but used sparingly, I think they can add a really fun touch to displays like this one.

I absolutely love these paper flowers I found at Hobby Lobby last week. Aside from the supplies for the pallet, they were the only purchase I made for this display. Not too shabby!

And that’s a wrap!

I encourage you to seek inspiration for your home decor in unlikely places, as I did here. If you love the design of an ad, a magazine cover or anything else that strikes your fancy visually, use that to flavor your next decorating endeavor. It will breathe new life into your efforts!
If you have enjoyed this post, I would love for you to add it to Pinterest! Do so easily by clicking on the link below.

Pin It
Thanks so much for stopping in! And don’t forget to stop by throughout the rest of the week for the tutorials for how I put these projects together.

Serenity Now
Tatertots and Jello
Oopsey Daisy
Creations by Kara
Every Creative Endeavor
Lolly Jane
Lil Luna
Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

51 Responses to Vibrant Spring Mantel

1. CharlaL February 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

LOVE IT!!! Can wait for the TUT! :)

2. The Cottage Mama February 28, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Amy, you are amazing!! I dont’ know how you do it ~ this is so darn cute. What a fabulous idea. I got the same issue in the mail and was so excited for spring. Unfortunately, we’ve got quite some time before we see any spring flowers here in Chicago.

3. Jenn Lifford February 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

So fabulous! I love that color combo!

4. Kara February 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Love it Amy! I’m hoping to get some time soon to decorate my mantel for spring. It’s still got my Valentine banner hanging on it. Yikes!

5. Jennifer Curts February 28, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Very cute! Love the turquoise and the fabric flowers.

6. UKMUMINUSA February 28, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Your mantel is lovely, I am excited for spring too, but it is a long way off yet, we have forecast 8″-12″ of snow tonight!!! The picket fence is so cute.

7. Twigs and Twirls February 28, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

love the blue !!! I have been obessed with that color lately.

8. Nat and Holly February 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

Amy, this is so cheery and bright! I love it :) I am looking forward to your tutorial on the flowers… it looks like you covered some buttons. I have yet to try that, but I have a few kits laying around! Your mantel is beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us!

9. keanapalmtree February 29, 2012 at 12:01 am #

awesome ! i cant wait for your tutorials on how to make this!

10. Ursie February 29, 2012 at 12:18 am #

Super cute!! I love it!! Bright colors!!! Bring on Spring!!!

11. Amanda @ Serenity Now February 29, 2012 at 12:53 am #

I loved the fun colors of the SL cover too! I love how you pulled your inspiration from that…it turned out so nicely. :) Love the chalk writing too!

12. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating February 29, 2012 at 1:08 am #

I absolutely LOVE this!! The colors are so fantastic…so cheery and happy and springy. :-D Your mantel seriously made me smile ear to ear. And I know this may sound strange, but I think you’ve just inspired some party decorations that I’ve been struggling with! My grandmother is turning 100 in April, and her party is going to be in a very drab, dull civic center. I was just trying to come up with some ideas, and thinking how much we need COLOR! Then…BAM…I saw this link on Facebook. Yay!!! Thank you so much for the fantastic inspiration!!

13. nest of posies February 29, 2012 at 1:30 am #

i feel like i don’t even need to look at the magazine for inspiration because i found it right here!

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Leslie February 29, 2012 at 1:45 am #

Your vignette is so much better than the magazine inspiration! Love, love love it! Now you’ve really got me excited for spring!

15. Shirley February 29, 2012 at 2:50 am #

This is so pretty!!! I am inspired :)

16. Lizziejane February 29, 2012 at 3:22 am #

LOVE your medallions. Can’t wait to see how you made them!!

17. Tisha February 29, 2012 at 3:22 am #

Beautiful, Amy! I hope you’ll share this at my Spring Mantel party, starting tomorrow morning @ the Delectable Home.

18. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} February 29, 2012 at 4:48 am #

Seriously Amy? You always have the cutest mantels!! They are just so happy. I wish you could come do mine. It’s kind of pitiful. ;)

19. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy February 29, 2012 at 4:49 am #

Beautiful as always Amy! I love these colors!

20. Sara February 29, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Oh this is absolutely adorable!! Hope you can link it up at my turquoise lovin’ party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/02/turquoise-lovin-27.html

21. Shasta @ intheoldroad February 29, 2012 at 5:37 am #

Ooooh, I love that mantel!!!! I’m a new follower too :)

22. LaurieStar February 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I love your blue picket fence! Darling! :)

23. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} February 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Adorable mantel, Amy! You’re right, those colors scream spring. You have a fabulous interpretation of the cover!

24. Jill ~ Jillify It March 1, 2012 at 4:53 am #

Love the mantel!!! So fun! I would love it if you would link up at my party going on now! (It’s my first one!!!)

Jill :)

25. Amanda Jones March 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Oh Amy – I am in love with your turquoise picket fence – like, I love, love, love it!! This whole mantel is awesome!

26. Renee Living Laughing Loving March 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Oh wow!! I keep seeing your mantles pop up every now and then on features and/or pinterest! They are amazing! Love this one with that BIG giant pop of turquoise!
    Amazing! Late to the party, but I’m your newest follower!

27. Amanda March 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

I love it!!

28. the cape on the corner March 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

that is the cutest, springiest mantle! gorgeous!

29. Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} March 3, 2012 at 1:13 am #

Such a beautiful Spring Mantle!!! So pretty!!!

30. Amy Fredrikson March 3, 2012 at 1:24 am #

Makes me wish 1. that it was spring and 2. that I had a mantel!

31. Lindsi B March 3, 2012 at 2:24 am #

pretty, pretty, and more pretty! I found you on Tater Tots and Jello. I’d love to have you link up with us for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party at Toys In The Dryer. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/03/fun-stuff-fridays-13.html

32. Stacey March 3, 2012 at 2:34 am #

Really beautiful and fun! Great colors and inspiration! I would love for you to stop over and link up to my party which is happening NOW! I would love to have you!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

33. Christine March 3, 2012 at 4:58 am #

WOW!!!! I love the colors and well everything!! It’s amazing!

Please come over to The DIY Dreamer and share this with my readers… please :)

34. Jennifer @ The Brilliant Crafty Type March 3, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Your mantel makes me happy :) Thanks!

35. Jeanna March 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Your mantel turned out very pretty… Your photography is simple amazing…

Jeanna

dramaqueenseams.com

36. Julie March 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

You are invited to share this with my blog hop:

37. the Sweetest Memory March 4, 2012 at 3:40 am #

So cheery!

38. luvGodncountry March 4, 2012 at 4:37 am #

I LOVE this and would love it if you would let me feature a portion of it on my Fireplace Decorating Blog!! Please drop me a line if you think it would be alright!! Thank you so very much for the consideration and have a blessed weekend.

39. Kimbo West March 5, 2012 at 12:35 am #

featured this today at my blog! http://www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

40. Meeha Meeha March 5, 2012 at 5:38 am #

This is wonderfully wonderful! It could easily be the cover of that magazine :)

41. atnumber29 March 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

lovely! very inspiring! have pinned it!

42. Kimberly @ See Sew and Seedlings March 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

This is the most adorable project!!!! I love it and the vibrant spring colors.

43. Nicola of Life on Orchard Road March 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Just gorgeous! I am new to your blog, but I am sure glad I have found it, I am going to have a real look around now!
    Nicola :)

44. Stephanie March 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

45. Stephanie March 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Beautiful! I love the colors!!! The fabric flowers are darling!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

46. Melanie March 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

I LOVE this….it’s so springy and bright…such creativity! I’d love it if you’d link up over at my Tuesday Time Out party! http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2012/03/tuesday-time-out.html#.T1YlSVHlyGc

Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework

1. Lil Luna Link Party 67 - January 10, 2013

[...] Spring Mantel from Positively Splendid – Dr. Seuss Jello Cups from Homespun with Love – Lucky Block from The Happy [...]

2. Chalkboard Picket Fence Pallet Tutorial | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] I automatically shift into spring mode. All this week, I’ve been sharing the details of my spring mantel, which represents my first springtime project of the year. Without a doubt, the star of the display [...]

3. No-Sew Fabric Medallions | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] the RSS feed to ensure you never miss a post. Yesterday I posted the “tour” of my spring mantel, which I created based on the March Southern Living cover. I love finding design inspiration in [...]

4. SPRING DIY Projects and Crafts- Create and Share! - March 19, 2013

[...] A Diamond in the Stuff / Spring Wreath by Piccadilly Peddler / Spring Towels by Nap Time Journal / Spring Mantel by Positively Splendid / Decorating a Vintage Window for Spring by An Extraordinary Day /  Paper [...]

5. Spring & Easter Décor | Cathy Green InteriorsCathy Green Interiors - March 25, 2013

[...] source [...]