On the lookout for a delicious recipe to give as gifts to teachers, neighbors and more? My honey bun mini loaves are just the ticket! Infused with cinnamon and nutmeg and drizzled with fragrant honey, this quick bread is perfect not only for breakfast, but also for dessert when served with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. And, because these loaves start off with a cake mix (no one will ever guess!), these are as easy as can be to make!
- 1 plain yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream (preferably full fat)
- 3/4 vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 5 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (plus 1 teaspoon, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour (5) 5x3x2" mini loaf pans. Set pans aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, oil and eggs. Mix on low until ingredients are combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat for about 2 minutes more, until batter is thick and smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans.
- Fill each of the 5 prepared pans about 1/4 full with the batter, and sprinkle each with about 2 teaspoons of the filling. Cover the filling layer with another layer of batter, distributing the remaining batter evenly among the 5 pans. Sprinkle each pans with another layer of filling, dividing the filling evenly among each pan. Drizzle each loaf with 1 tablespoon honey, and then use a knife to gently swirl the filling and honey into the top layer of batter.
- Bake the loaves for approximately 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- While loaves are cooling, prepare the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and vanilla in a small bowl, stirring well to combine. If needed, add an additional teaspoon milk so glaze is thick but of a drizzling consistency. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaves.
- This bread can also be prepared in 2 standard-sized loaf pans. Increase the baking time accordingly.
- Prepared loaves can be wrapped in foil and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost to room temperature before serving.
Our favorite part is the ribbon of delicious cinnamon-sugar filling revealed when you cut into each loaf. Yum!
Craving even more delicious bread recipes? I’ve got you covered!
Thanks so much for stopping in!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.