This post is sponsored by Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.
With Independence Day later this week, craft up some festive patriotic star necklaces with your kids to wear on the big day! These necklaces come together in no time at all, and they are made extra-special with a secret supply that will help them glow in the dark when it’s time to sit under the stars to watch fireworks. This is a July 4th craft that is sure to be a hit with kids of all ages! Read on for all the details.
For this project, you will need…
- Woodsie unfinished star cutouts
- Martha Stewart Crafts acrylic craft paint in three colors: wedding cake, beach glass and habanero
- Martha Stewart Crafts Glow-in-the-Dark Finish
- Foam brush
- Red and white twine
- Use the foam brush and acrylic paint to paint 2 coats on both sides of the wood stars in an assortment of red, white and blue. Allow paint to dry completely.
- Apply 2 layers of the glow-in-the-dark finish to one side of each of the blue and white stars (the finish does not show up on the red color), allowing the finish to dry for at least 1 hour between coats. Allow to dry completely.
- Using the Crop-A-Dile, punch a small hole in the top center of each star.
- Cut a length of twine long enough to extend around the neck, plus enough length for tying in a bow. Thread the stars onto the twine so that the side with the glow-in-the-dark finish faces out when worn. Note: Although we did not do this in the necklace depicted here, to keep the stars properly spaced, I recommend tying a knot before and after each star to keep it in place.
Your patriotic glow-in-the-dark star necklace is complete!
To wear, simply secure with a bow around a special someone’s neck.
These necklaces are such a fun craft project to complete with kiddos, and the task of lacing the stars onto the twine is a terrific fine motor exercise.
Plus, no one will ever be able to resist the oh-so-cool glow-in-the-dark effect when the sun goes down! It really is just the right amount of bling for the July 4th holiday!
I’m so excited to be sharing this post in conjunction with Jo-Ann and their Big Bling Event! Just in time for things to heat up this summer, Jo-Ann is sharing some sizzling and super FUN ideas for adding bling to your craft projects. Be sure to check out all of the fun Big Bling ideas on their site!
PLUS, going on right now is a super fun Instagram challenge where you will have the chance to show Jo-Ann your personalized and blinged-out crafts on Instagram during #TheBigBling Sweepstakes. The sweepstakes is broken up into five weekly themes, and this week’s theme is all about the red, white and blue! Entries for this week’s theme start at 9:00 a.m. ET on 6/30/14 and run through 11:59:59 p.m. ET on 7/5/14. Jo-Ann will pick a winner for the week’s challenge and announce him or her on Instagram the following week by tagging his or her handle. How fun is that? (You can find all details regarding the official rules here.)
I hope y’all will take part in the contest, and if you do, feel free to tag me in your posts! (You can follow @PositivelySplendid on Instagram by clicking here).
Happy creating, everyone! And, if you’re looking for even more fun July 4th craft inspiration, be sure to check out some of the ideas below!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.